Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Where should I execute csv2testrail.php?

Hi,

I am very new to testrail and I want to import my test cases (wrote on Excel sheets) to testrail.
By the way I found an excellent feature(csv2testrail.php) to convert the test cases.

But I dont have PHP installed on my machine. Do I really need to install php for conversion? If not can some one please give me the steps and where to execute the script “csv2testrail.php”. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Ramesh.

Hello Ramesh,

Thanks for your posting. Yes, you would need a working PHP environment to execute the script. Then you can just execute the script as follows:

Are you on Windows or Linux? It is also possible to use a virtual machine for this purpose or the machine TestRail is running on.

Regards,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

Thanks for your reply. Actually I am using testrail on your hosted online trial. I am on windows machine. can you please give me the steps to convert my excel based test cases to testrail’s xml?

And one more testrail is installed on the server(US). I want to convert my excel files to xml from client machine(IND). can you also please let me know what are the prerequisites for converting the files? Please pull me out of this issue.

Regards,
Ramesh.

Hello Ramesh,

Thanks for the update. You basically need a machine that has PHP installed (e.g., this can be your client machine or a spare machine, e.g. a VM) and our csv2testrail script. You would then need a custom filter routine for csv2testrail that maps your Excel file layout to TestRail. Implementing a custom filter is explained on the following page:

http://code.gurock.com/p/testrail-migrate/page/csv2testrail/

The custom filter routine is needed as every Excel file has a different layout and data format (e.g., some Excel files use one row per test cases where others one row per test steps, etc). The csv2testrail tool comes with a few common examples.

Please let me know in case you have any further questions.

Regards,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

Thanks much for the Reply! I still have a query.
Can we consider your hosted online trial as a VM? If yes please let me know where should we execute the migration script.

Regards,
Ramesh.

Hello Ramesh,

Executing scripts on our Hosted platform is not supported, so would need to do this locally, e.g. on a spare VM or your client machine. You would basically need to install PHP and then follow the steps in the documentation. Do you have an IT department which could provide a machine with PHP?

Regards,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

Thanks much for the info! Sorry yar I don’t have an IT Dept to provide me a machine with PHP installed. I will try to install myself on a linux machine.

I will reach you if I struck while installing PHP. Thanks again Tobias! You gave me great information.

Thanks & Regards,
Ramesh.

Hello Ramesh,

You are welcome. Please let me know in case I can help with anything else.

Regards,
Tobias