Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Where is Trigger UI?

Hi everyone. Im new with Testrail so Im searching how Testrail works. The reason of this is because I got a project where I need to run my tests in an environment in the cloud. So, Im thinking in a lot of posibilities where I can done it. The is one that I think is perfect to my case, that is in create a UI Script, where, starting a button (defined en mi UI), my tests they are to start.
My question is: Where is the Trigger UI? I defined my UI script from Dashboard -> Adminstration -> Customizations -> Add UI Script, but I dont know where is the trigger. I have Testrail licenced in their cloud.
I hope you can help me and sorry if Im wrong in some thinks.
Regards!

Hello Carlo,

Thank you for the post! Many teams use the API to integrate various test frameworks and tools with TestRail. While TestRail does not have a built-in way to trigger your automated tests via the user interface at the moment, you can already do this via a customization. We have documentation about this available on our website here:

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-custom/automation-trigger

You would also be able to use the trigger example/approach with a TestRail Cloud license. To accomplish this, you would need to place the server-side trigger script on the server where you would like to execute/run the tests on (usually on your private network). TestRail would not need to be able to connect to your server, as the connection/glue is made via the UI script in TestRail and via your web browser. You can also write the server-side script in any other programming language and our script is only an example.

That said, most teams trigger their automated tests outside of TestRail either manually, scheduled or via a continuous integration system. They then use TestRail’s API to submit the test results to TestRail.