Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

When using Keyboard shortcuts, what is the expected behavior with custom sorting in test plans?

If I have sorted the cases in a test plan, and I am using the keyboard short cut ‘j’ what should happen?

My expectation was to go to the next case in the sorted list. The reality seems to be that it goes according to the next case in the plan…

Can anyone comment/confirm that this is expected behavior?

Thanks!

Tim

Not sure if I follow you on the steps but in our 4.2 install the j moves between the cases in the order displayed/sorted. So if I create a test plan and sort 4 test cases (1, 2, 3, 4) so that the order from the top of the list to the bottom is 2, 4, 1, 3 and I click on test 2 and hit j - it moves to test case 4, then 1 and then 3 (if I continue to hit the j key).

If I click on test case 1 and hit the j - it moves me to case 3. If you hit j after moving to test case 3 then it does not go to the top but stays at the end (3).

I believe this is the expected behavior.

Hi all!

The j/k keys are just shortcuts for the next/previous feature/arrows in the toolbar when you view a test case. These feature respect the grouping options and would jump to the next case in the list (according the current grouping). Do you see a different behavior?

Regards,
Tobias