Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our
blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

When can we expect faster TestRail release cycles?

Back in June 2016 when you were acquired by IDERA, you stated in your blog post that one of your goals:

is to further accelerate TestRail’s product development for even faster release cycles

Since then, the release velocity has slowed down so much that I wonder if it’s worth continuing with our support plan renewal.

TestRail 4.2: May 2015
TestRail 5.0: September 2015 (4 months)
TestRail 5.1: December 2015 (3 months)
TestRail 5.2: February 2016 (2 months)
TestRail 5.3: September 2016 (7 months)
TestRail 5.4: July 2017 (10 months)

TestRail 5.4 added very little aside from new server platform support - with that in mind, practically no new features have been added for 1.5 years.

Are you able to share what you’re working on so that we can make an informed decision as to whether or not to renew our support plans in the future?

Troublesome that there also seems to be a tendency of Gurock not responding to messagews like this

I emailed support and asked things like this. Here were the responses that I was given:

Thanks for your email! Like many software companies (e.g. such as Atlassian/JIRA), we don’t publish our roadmap publicly, as we prefer not to overpromise and underdeliver. Our team at Gurock has actually more than doubled now in the last 12 months, and we only have plans to grow and add more features and functionality to TestRail. Business itself has grown tremendously over the past year and we’re working hard to staff up in all phases of the company (product management, development, marketing, and support), and we’re working to meet the demands of our customers. I can assure you that we are actively developing new features and making changes based on customer feedback, and we’ve actually been more actively engaged in reaching out to customers to receive feedback and make actionable decisions on how to best improve TestRail (someone on your team may have even received several emails regarding surveys recently).

I pressed a bit further on the lack of much in the last release and the slow cycles and I was given a bit more:

Thanks for your email! Yes, in the last year we’ve been focused on improving our TestRail Cloud infrastructure as well as adding more platform support for TestRail Server customers, with some smaller bug fixes and usability fixes. We’ve also been working to onboard our new team members and developers to adhere to the same quality and efficiency standards that our customers have come to expect. We’ll be posting a formal update soon regarding the new TestRail Cloud infrastructure changes that we’ve been working on in that regard. In regards to new features, while I can’t provide any specifics, you will start to see some new feature/changes to TestRail very early in the new year, and then a steady flow of getting back to full feature releases with multiple releases each year. Keep an eye on our blog, as that’s the fastest way to get updates when we post about this!

Not sure if that helps, but that is the update I got when I emailed.

The second response (and actually the first sentence of the initial response) is pretty much literally what they have posted in the forums… Not sure what to make of that considering the lack of responses in the forums and lack of releases.

I agree. Numerous features have been requested by customers - some several years ago. Many of the requests are simple to implement - for example being able to set a testcase status back to “Untested”.

While we are happy with Testrail for now, we do expect improvement on the numerous weaknesses of the product. There’s great potential, but at this very slow release cycle rate it will take years to get even simple improvements.

Yes, yes, yes, and yes. There is a difference between not wanting to “overpromise and underdeliver” and “not promising anything and also not delivering anything”.