Apologies if my first post is a ‘moan’. The product is great, but has it’s limitations in enterprise settings. I’d like to know more about the future.
I have several clients that, based on evaluating a range of test case management products, selected Test Rail. Tools you were up against included Zephyr Add-On, Zephyr Enterprise, HP ALM, IBM CLM, QASyphony.
Test Rail’s comparative price, usability, API and not being overly focused on one context, such as web application testing, made it a clear choice, at the time.
However, as time has moved on, the combination of lack of features and the increasing availability of alternative test management tools, is creating an impetus to look elsewhere. Alternatives are also proving attractive due to the price breaks and licence flexibility beyond 250 users.
It would therefore be great to see a Roadmap showing some clear intent over the next 12 months of what the Test Rail team are prioritizing.
Perhaps it could be possible to set-up a public instance of JIRA so that licence holders can interact with you to vote on issues
Key features everyone seems to be asking for (ordered by urgency):
- Fix Security problems
- Automating Site Administration tasks
- Flexible licensing options & price breaks beyond 250 e.g.:
– ‘Free’ read-only access to Test Rail data
– ‘Robot’ use of the API / multi-use licences
- Verbose system logging for analytics
- Delegating of Project User/Permission Administration without needing Site Administration
- Logging of ‘deleted’ test cases e.g.: showing up in project activity feed
- Custom Fields to be automatically included in Reports
- Segregate reporting/dashboards across different test workflows e.g.:
– Classic (Untested/Pass/Fail)
– Exploratory (Not Started//Concluded)
- Pausing of tests without a need for a separate Test Run e.g.: In Progress state
- Confluence macros for creating test summaries (or perhaps examples or an SDK)
- Default creation of JIRA issues to specific project
My problem is that without visibility or news of when, even if within the next 12 months, the people I am working with will move to other tools.
Hope you can help
*A quick update. An associate of mine is reporting that his client has decided to freeze expansion and is deploying alternative strategy.