Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our
blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

What is the router?

What is the SmartInspect Router? What does it do?

I am writting an installer for my application which uses SmartInspect. Do I need to distribute the router? What are the consequences of not distributing the router?

I see in the deploy directory that there is an installer for the router and in the help file there is a section describing installer parameters. Does this help section apply to the SmartInspect Pro installer?; or to the Redistributable Console installer?; or to the Router installer? or to all 3?

What is the best way to silently integrate the installation of the router into my application’s installer? (Btw, I my installer engine is Inno).

There needs to be a section in the help file to help developers with redistribution, particulary in relation to installers.

Please advise.

Faithfully,
Sean B. Durkin
CHK GridSense

Sean,

The Router is an optional SmartInspect component and is not required in most scenarios. You can think of the SmartInspect Router as a simple log server.

One case where the Router is needed is when you have multiple application processes and want those to write into the same log file. The Router can help in this scenario and synchronizes the access to the shared log file. Another scenario where the Router is helpful is when you want to setup a central log file storage somewhere on your network.

The ‘Automating the Installation’ topic in the manual describes the command line arguments for the setup and uninstallation tool for the full SmartInspect version as well as for the Redistributable Console. The command line options for the setup of the Router and its installation notes can be found in the manual of the Router (which is included in the sirouter.exe).

You basically have two options.

The first option is to call the sirouter setup in silent or very silent mode from your installer and thus install it normally but without user interaction.

The second option is to just take the files from an already installed Router (ie. the SmartInspectRouter.exe, configuration files and schema, the required .dlls etc.) and then let your installer copy these files by itself. In this case, you would also need to call ‘SmartInspectRouter.exe /install’ (and likewise ‘SmartInspect.exe /uninstall’ when unstalling) to register the Router as a Windows service.

We are constantly improving the manual and are currently overhauling the entire manual including tutorials, installations notes and also the deployment topics.