Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

What are best practises for daily smoke test run?

Hello,

I am running a daily smoke test to monitor features throughout the sprint and development.

I start a new test run every day from the same tests to have a visibility over time. It becomes a bit difficult to see other relevant runs at a glance.

Do any of you do the same? What are you tried out practises? Should I rerun the same test run every day and only compare the results in the reports? Should I build a test plan and add a test run every day?

I am really interested in your thoughts.

Br.
Piotr

Hi Piotr,

Thanks for your posting! I would also recommend looking into using a test plan to group these runs. This makes it very easy to compare different test runs over time using the Results > Comparison for Cases report from the Reports tab:

You could keep the test plan active for the entire sprint and then start a new one for the next sprint.

Cheers,
Tobias

Hello,

Thanks! So a test plan for each sprint and a test run for every day within sprint? I will try it out, only that the test plan statistics will be for all tests in all runs, so a bit skewed, but perhaps it is OK.

Br.
Piotr

Hi Piotr,

Yes, I believe this would work well and this approach is used successfully by other teams as well. You would still have the run statistics per run if you open the run and the plan statistics would be the combined stats for all runs.

Cheers,
Tobias