Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our
blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Web application concurrent requests

Hello,
I have a web application that is now utilizing smart inspect logging, however after implementing method tracking and hitting the server with multiple requests I see that each call appears nested because the second request fires the same method that had not finished yet with the last request.

Is there a way to avoid this?

Hello,

Thanks for your posting. The main view in the Console displays all threads of your application by default and this explains why the concurrent requests “mess up” the view (because the threads run and log simultaneously). You can view each thread/request independently from the others either by using AutoView Rules (Edit | AutoView Rules, with Thread as trigger) or by applying the built-in AutoView Rule for threads (Edit | Apply Builtin AutoView Rule | Thread Rule).

I hope this helps and please let me know in case anything is unclear or if you have any further questions!

Regards,
Tobias

Thanks, that makes sense. However let me pose another question to you.

If I have a large application (around 8,000 people use it daily all day), and I wish to log various events from around that application, what would be the best way to separate them all by user? Should I create a session for each ASP.net session, for each user, or just log to the main session, and tack on username string to each log message, and forgo method tracking?

You could look into SmartInspect’s session feature to group log entries by user:

[code]var session = SiAuto.Si.AddSession(“Some user”, true);
session.LogMessage("…");

var session = SiAuto.Si[“Some user”];

[/code]

You just need to take care that you eventually release/delete those sessions you no longer need (via DeleteSession).

You can then use the same filtering options in the Console for the user and the session property as previously for the threads (e.g. AutoView Rules).

I hope this helps and please let me know in case you have any further questions!

Regards,
Tobias

Excellent. That was what I planned on doing, I just wasn’t sure how it effected performance.

Thanks for your help.

Great to hear that this helps. This doesn’t have any significant effects on the performance. We just recommend using the DeleteSession method to remove sessions you no longer need in order to keep the memory consumption at a minimum.

Regards,
Tobias