Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Way to Copy Structured Steps Between Testcases or way to Save Common Steps

I just started using TestRails and wanted to know if there is a way to copy a Structured step from one testcase to another. For example, if I am always going to Log in to an application and select File->Open, I would like an easy way to incorporate that into a test rather than retype it each time. Even better, I would like a way to save “Re-usable Steps” and have a panel that I could just drag it over from.

I had this with another tool and it was really helpful and made testcase writing quick and efficient.

Thanks,
Andrea

Hi Andrea,

Thanks for your posting! You can link to other test cases via the [C###] syntax (e.g. [C17]). This does not include the steps or other details of the case directly but includes a link to the case. So, this is a bit more generic than just including the steps. An alternative is to copy a case and then just add the additional steps you would like to cover and you can copy test cases via drag & drop on the Test Cases page:

Re-usable steps is also something that’s planned to look into and I’m happy to add another vote to this feature request, thanks again!

Cheers,
Tobias