Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our
blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

VPN x TCP Connection

Hello, I am testing SmartInspect and am having a problem. I’m connected to a VPN through my laptop (Win XP PRO). I run my application on the terminal (Win 2003 Server) and I track it in SmartInspect, but I’m not getting.

I used netstat on my notebook and I found the following information:

PROTO LOCAL ADDRESS FOREIGN ADDRESS STATE

TCP 10.0.0.112:1250 10.10.5.65:3389 ESTABLISHED
TCP 10.0.0.112:4228 0.0.0.0 LISTENING
TCP 10.0.0.112:139 0.0.0.0 LISTENING

I ran netstat on the terminal and I found the following information:

PROTO LOCAL ADDRESS FOREIGN ADDRESS STATE

TCP 10.10.5.65:3389 10.0.0.112:1250 ESTABLISHED

What would the C # code in my application that will run the terminal, to establish guidelines through a VPN connection between my notebook and the terminal?

Who was the host and what is the door?

The correct syntax in C# would be this:
SiAuto.Si.Connections = “tcp (host = 10.0.0.112, port = 4228)”;

Thank you.

Hello Alvimar,

Thanks for your request.

[quote=Alvimar]Hello, I am testing SmartInspect and am having a problem. I’m connected to a VPN through my laptop (Win XP PRO). I run my application on the terminal (Win 2003 Server) and I track it in SmartInspect, but I’m not getting.

[…]

Who was the host and what is the door?

The correct syntax in C# would be this:
SiAuto.Si.Connections = “tcp (host = 10.0.0.112, port = 4228)”;[/quote]

The IP address and port look right to me. Are you sure that your server can connect to your desktop machine this way? That is, are you sure there are no firewalls/routers between the machines that do not allow this type of connection? For example, a firewall might prevent your server from connecting to your desktop on the SmartInspect port (4228).

There’s an easy way to test this. On your server, just try to connect to the SmartInspect Console with the built-in telnet client. I.e., just try to open an connection from the command box while the SmartInspect Console is running on your desktop machine:

If you you cannot establish a connection, there’s a problem with a firewall/router. You might be able to switch to another port in this case (you can change the port the Console is listening on in the Console’s option dialog).

Please let me know if this helps. Thanks!

Regards,
Dennis