Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our
blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Using Named Pipes from a Windows Service

I am unable to get pipes to work when logging from Windows Service running Windows 7 or Windows 2008. Tcp works fine but I would rather use Pipes. I believe the issue is related to permissions. Any idea how to work around this problem?

Thanks

Hello James,

Thanks for your posting. Yes, this is most likely a permission issue. Which version of SmartInspect do you use? The 3.3.2 release introduced the following fix:

“Fixed: Access to named pipes of Console/Router is limited to administrator and the same user that started the Console/Router”

Could you please check which SmartInspect version do you use?

Regards,
Tobias

Thanks for the reply

I am using Version 3.3.1.21. Obviously not the correct version. I think this the last version I have access to.

What else has been added since this version that would help justify renew. Is there any future functionality coming? Maybe XML and JSON visualizers for the Viewer pane?

Thanks

Hello James,

We’ve released two new versions since then (3.3.2 and 3.3.3). The changelog for these versions can be found here:

http://forum.gurock.com/forum/1/announcements/

We currently don’t have concrete plans for new major versions of SmartInspect so I can’t promise which features may or may not be added in the future at this point. SmartInspect is already a very mature product but I can certainly see that some parts can be improved/revisited (such as the viewers).

Regards,
Tobias