Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Updating Test Run description not saved

I create Test Runs via the Ruby API with a description. When closing the Test Run in my cloud account I sometimes want to add additional info about why some test cases might have failed (i.e. new bug found in service). When I close the Test Run I don’t see the updated comment in the completed Test Run view - it just shows the existing description/comment created by the Ruby API.

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your posting. Do you close the test runs manually via the UI? What do you mean with “updated comment”? The test run description you edited before closing the run?

Cheers,
Tobias

Tobias,

I do close the Test Run manually in the UI. I click on the “edit” link, then update the description of the Test Run to add any informational comments regarding the results of the test cases. Then click on the “close” link, confirm closing it and then when clicking on the Test Run link to review it again, the updated description doesn’t contain the information I added - it just shows the text that was added by the Ruby API call that created the Test Run.

I can provide screen shots if you’re still not clear on my issue.

Thanks,
Scott Dinn

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the additional details. Yes, screenshots would be great. I assume you clicked Save after editing the run/description?

Cheers,
Tobias

Tobias,

Sorry for the delay in responding…after updating another Test Plan last night I realized I wasn’t SAVING before I clicked the close test run link - that was my problem - as you suggested. My updated description/comment from last night was saved with the closed test run.

My bad - user error - thanks for your time and responses.

Thanks,
Scott Dinn

Hi Scott,

No problem at all and great to hear that the solution was so simple :slight_smile:

Have a good weekend!

Cheers,
Tobias