Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Update existing test cases through CSV import

I am using Testrail 6.0.2v and wan to know if there will be a option to update existing test cases through csv import.

I have exported the test cases and update them (Approx 1000 test cases). When i try to import then not getting the option to map the ID from file with test case Id in test rail. Hence new test cases are created instead of update the existing one.

Any help is really appreciated.

Hi Anoop,

Thanks for the post! Currently, the CSV import tool can only be used to create new test cases. If you need to export your test cases, make edits, then reimport these for updates, we would recommend using the XML export/import tool for this, as the XML feature is designed to allow for the updating of existing test cases.

We do have a feature request to be able to update test cases using the CSV import as well and I will add your vote to this feature request. That said, I would not be able to provide a timeframe or ETA on this additional functionality just yet.

Regards,
Jon