Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our
blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Unable to select Push Defect fields in JIRA integration

Hello,

We have integrated Testrail/JIRA via the JIRA plugin but are unable to select any of the fields in the Push Defect dialog.

• We are using per-project integration
  • JIRA ver 5
  • Plugin config is as follows:
    [connection]
    address=https://jira.xxx.jp
    user=%jira_user%
    password=%jira_password%

[push.fields]
summary=on
project=on
issuetype=on
component=on
assignee=on
priority=on
affects_version=on
fix_version=off
estimate=off
labels=off
environment=off
parent=off
linktype=off
links=off
description=on

• user JIRA credentials have been set up user Settings.

Results: When I hover over one of the fields in the Push Defect field, a “No” symbol (circle with a line through it) icon appears. This happens over all fields. I cannot upload a screenshot (new user) but does not capture the symbol anyway unfortunately. :confused:

I suspected this was something to do with JIRA REST API but confirmed it’s configured to accept remote API calls.
I then suspected an issue with Okta Identity Management but confirmed I was logged in via Okta (also, the plugin should circumvent any authentication mechanisms if the API information is accurate no?)

So I am at a loss at the moment as to how I can get the integration to work. Please help.

Cheers

Hello Jesse,

Thanks for your posting! This usually indicates a permission error or an incorrect JIRA address. Could you please check that the username and password for the integration as well as the JIRA address are correct?

Do you use a TestRail Cloud or self-hosted TestRail Server instance? We are happy to enable logging for your Cloud instance and review the logs (just send us an email with your TestRail address in this case). In case you use TestRail Server, you can enable debug logging as follows:

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-faq/system-debug

You can send the logs via email to our help desk at contact@gurock.com.

Regards,
Tobias

Hi Jalvarez,

One thing I’ve noted from your configuration. Have you tried having the ‘parent = on’?

Raising the defect against the actual Story (parent). Or have you configured TestRail to create new defects as sub-tasks within JIRA?

Hope this helps…

Hi,

I am also facing the same problem. I have integrated TestRail server with Jira JIRA v6.4.6. The Push defect field shows the red circle striked out with diagonal red line prohibiting me to select anything in the drop down displayed.

This is the defect plugin;

; Please configure your JIRA connection below.
;
; Note: requires JIRA 5 or later or JIRA OnDemand/Cloud. You
; can use the ‘JIRA SOAP’ defect plugin for older versions.
[connection]
address=http://XX.X.XX.XX:8080/secure/RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=115&projectKey=FMA/
user=%jira_user%
password=%jira_password%

[push.fields]
summary=on
project=on
issuetype=on
component=on
assignee=on
priority=on
affects_version=on
fix_version=off
estimate=off
labels=off
environment=off
parent=on
linktype=off
links=off
description=on

The user variables are set correctly. I am able to open the create issue window from TestRail and also I can open TestRail dashboards from Jira.

Only problem is that the dropdown in the Push defect window is not allowing me to select any value.

Could you please help me on these?

Thanks!!
Namit

I got reply on this from TestRail support. Just mentioning here for everyone’s reference

We just need to supply base address of our JIRA instance in the address= line (in the plugin box on Integration page)

Thanks!!!
Namit

Great to hear that it works now :slightly_smiling:

Yes, I can confirm again that this was the problem and TestRail/the integration would expect the JIRA base URL in the address= line. TestRail automatically detects common variants of the URL but specifying the base address/URL of JIRA is recommended.

Cheers,
Tobias

Hello,

I also have the same problem and can not find the adress=line in the integration page.
can you help me please?

Best regards,
Ilyes

Hi Ilyes,

You can find the JIRA configuration (and other plugins) on the Administration > Integration page. For JIRA, we recommend using the Configure JIRA Integration button at the top of the page and this automatically selects the correct Defect Plugin and configures the address= line etc. You can also manually configure everything by selecting “JIRA REST” as Defect Plugin and then entering your connection details in the text box below the dropdown.

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

Thanks a lot for the quick answer.
My address line was well configured with the URL of Jira but I still cannot select the project.
I think it was more related to missing rights in Jira.

Best regards,
Ilyes

Hi Ilyes,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, if the address is configured properly, then an empty Push Defect dialog can be caused by missing permissions on the JIRA side (e.g. no permissions to get the list of projects, or an empty list of projects is returned by JIRA).

Cheers,
Tobias