Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our
blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

UI: Add new tab and show content embedded within TestRail

Hi,
From another thread, I see that it is possible to add a new tab in the Projects view and open a custom URL. But on clicking the tab it opens the URL outside TestRail view. Is it possible to show the content embedded inside the TestRail frame?

Thanks
Dibyendu

Hi Dibyendu,

Thanks for your posting. Your custom URL/page would be independent of TestRail so it’s not directly possible to reuse the same frame. Do you have an example of what you are trying to accomplish? It’s already on our feature request list to look into something similar (similar to how the reports are embedded).

Cheers,
Tobias

Thanks for your response. We want to display/edit some additional data(list of key-value pairs) which is required for our Test planning. Any other suggestions how I can show the data?

Regards
Dibyendu

Hello Dibyendu,

I would recommend adding those values directly to the cases, wouldn’t this be possible? You can either use the separated steps field (step/expected result) or a table:

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-userguide/userguide-editor#tables

If the cases are not a good fit, you can also add them to the section or case repository description.

Cheers,
Tobias

Actually the fields are applicable at project level and common for all test cases.

Regards
Dibyendu

In this case, I would recommend using either the project description (appears on the project overview page), or the case repository/suite description. Both fields also support the mentioned TestRail’s rich-text option and you can add a key-value table, for example. Would this work for you?

Cheers,
Tobias