Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Traceability Matrix

I am currently evaluating your software as a potential testing tool and I am interested in being able to tie back to the original requirements as well as generate a traceability matrix. I would also like to be able to review test scenario coverage.

I notice you have some plans in this area. Do you have any target timeframes for when some of these items may become available?

Thanks!

Hello,

Thanks for your posting. We currently do not have a concrete timeframe for these features unfortunately, but it’s definitely planned to improve this area of TestRail. That said, it’s possible to write custom reports (and integrate them with TestRail’s UI) in the meantime:

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-faq/custom-report

We are also happy to help with custom reports in case you have any questions.

Regards,
Tobias

If you wrote a module which would collect the requirements either manually or imported from other systems (ie Blueprint), then you could associate the test cases to the requirements and see whether or not each requirement is tested.

I don’t think a report will help with this. Do you have a roadmap that you can share on what features you will be working on next?

Thanks,
Chris.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your feedback. TestRail actually already allows you to link test cases to external requirements via the References field. The References field for test cases allows you to enter one or multiple requirement IDs and TestRail would also automatically link those IDs to your external system when you configure the integration URLs for this (if your requirements are stored in a web-based system):

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-integration/references-urls

You could also import the requirement IDs as part of test cases via TestRail’s import feature or even automatically update your test cases via TestRail’s API.

The only missing piece at the moment would be the traceability report. We would like to add this to TestRail but we don’t currently have a time frame for this. We want to concentrate on reporting improvements this year and such a traceability report is certainly something that would be part of the enhancements we are looking into. You could already write a custom report for this in the meantime or we could help with this if you prefer that.

Thanks and just let me know if you have any further questions about this.

Regards,
Dennis

Hi Dennis,

I understand this is a pretty old post, as I am in the evaluation stage could you please let me know whether traceability has been incorporated? (report which could be generated to trace test cases and defects against a particular requirement. Also whether I am able to extract this report to an excel sheet so it can be shared with the wider team if needed. zephyr provide this feature nicely, I am interested to know whether there is a possibility with TestRaisl as such.)

Hello,

Yes, TestRail has comprehensive traceability/coverage reports now under the Reports tab. You can easily link test cases to external requirements/user stories (e.g. in JIRA), and run coverage reports for test cases, linked references/requirements, defects and results. You can also learn more here:

http://www.gurock.com/testrail/tour/test-reporting-metrics/
http://www.gurock.com/testrail/videos/reporting-metrics/
http://blog.gurock.com/postings/testrail-3-0-released/2399/

I hope this helps!

Hi Dennis,

The reports are very useful. Reiterating part of “N.R”'s post - I would like to be able to export reports (or part of them) in an excel/csv format - is this possible, or planned for the future? I can only see an option to download a zip file which then displays as html.

Regards,
Hayley

Hello Hayley,

Thanks for your reply, great to hear that you find the reports useful! The reports from the Reports tab are currently HTML-only. You can, however, generate and download full CSV/Excel/XML exports for other entities in TestRail (such as runs/plans/milestones/case repository) and the reports from the Reports tab are based on the same data. So, if you are looking into downloading data in a structured format, I can recommend reviewing the CSV/Excel/XML exports:

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

Thanks for your reply.

What I really want to see is the latest result for tests within a TR project, mapped to a requirements reference, but in an excel format. And a nice to have - I’d like to schedule it to send this via email (as per current reports functionality). In an excel format, the recipients can then filter the information according to their needs (priority, test result, requirement, etc). I’m currently copy/pasting the output of the “Results - Coverage for references” report into a spreadsheet to achieve this.

Using the solution you suggest, I can’t see how to get the latest test result of all tests in a project that map to the requirements references within my search criteria.

Regards,
Hayley

Hello Hayley,

The XML/CSV exports would also include the latest test results but just as part of the entire test & result list and it’s more difficult to find the latest results per test as you mentioned (and match this to references). The Coverage for References report makes this much easier of course. We are happy to look into a CSV/structured export for the reports in the future and I understand that having the data in a structured format would be better for post-processing the data.

Cheers,
Tobias