Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Trac integration 502 error

Hi,

I’ve been trying to set up TestRail’s Defect Plugin with our Trac.

I’m assured by our sysadmin that XML-RPC is installed (& from the look of this post I’d get a 404 if it wasn’t) but whenever I hover over a defect, or click ‘Push’ within Add Test Result I get the error:

Plugin “Trac” returned an error: Invalid HTTP code (502)

The Defect View, & Add Urls both work, details of each below:

Defect View Url (works)

http://trac.domain.local/project/ticket/%id%

Defect Add Url (works)

http://trac.domain.local/project/newticket

Defect Plugin (doesn’t work)

; Please configure your Trac connection below
[connection]
address=http://trac.domain.local/project/
user=%domain_username%
password=%domain_password%

This is being set up in within the Defects tab of Edit Project, as we have separate Trac instances for each project, & therefore the global integration settings would not be appropriate.

I’m slightly at a loss, & any pointers in the right direction would be appreciated.

As a last point; in the global integration settings I have set up the user, & password User Variables, though these do not appear to be displayed on the Edit Project page.

Thanks,
Paul.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your posting. I assume you are using a TestRail Cloud/Hosted instance, is this correct?

The problem is that you are trying to connect from a TestRail Cloud account to a Trac installation on your private network. For the full push/lookup integration TestRail needs to be able to connect to your defect tracker. If this is installed on your private server behind a firewall, then such a connection isn’t possible by default. To use the full integration, you would have the following options:

• Make your defect tracker available for connections over the Internet (I recommend talking to your IT team for this; we can also provide the IP addresses of our servers so you only need to approve our IPs for connections)

• You can also install TestRail on your own local server and we can provide the necessary details for this

• If you just want to try the full integration for now, you could maybe also temporarily set up a hosted trial version of your bug tracker (or a different issue tracker such as JIRA) just to try the integration

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

Yes, that’s correct. I read your first paragraph & went “dammit” as that’s clearly the problem.

The connection the plugin was trying isn’t actually possible to the domain.local at all - however we also have domain.com open which accepts authenticated requests.

I’ve changed this over & it’s now working.

Thanks for your reply though, got me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Paul.

I am having the same issue. Why can’t I add exception on my firewall for your servers?

Hello @zaherrkamal.

You can definitely allow connections from our servers in your firewall. Many of our customers are using this approach. Feel free to email us at contact@gurock.com for a list of IP addresses we use for such outgoing integration connections.

Thanks,
Dennis