Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

TR integration with jira and confluence - behaviour

Hi

When I create a jira defect from TestRail using the Add button, I am pushed into jira as expected. However, once created TR does not record the jira case number in the test result; I thought that should happen. Instead I had to manually insert the jira case number by editing the result and entering it there

• Is this the way it is supposed to be?

Once done, when I hover the jira-reference in TR I get the message
"Plugin “Jira_REST” returned an error: Could not resolve host: "

• What may be the cause here?

Also I have set the Reference url to point to Confluence wiki (instead of jira). I Guess this is not really supported by TR, since hovering over the Reference url gives a message saying
"Plugin “Jira_REST” returned an error: Invalid HTTP code (404). Please verify the address of your JIRA installation in the configuration settings and that TestRail can reach your JIRA server."

• Can you confirm that this is expected behavior?

Best regards
Wilhelm

Hello Wilhelm,

Thanks for your posting! The Add feature is just a basic link to your JIRA add-issue form and this wouldn’t automatically add the new JIRA issue ID to the Defects field. This is different for the Push field which lets you add a new issue directly from TestRail’s user interface and would automatically enter the issue to the Defects field:

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-integration/defects-plugins

The error you see sounds like a network/DNS issue. The Push and Lookup integration requires a direct connection between TestRail and JIRA and accessing a local JIRA installation wouldn’t be possible from TestRail Cloud, for example (because your JIRA is only accessible within your private network in this case) Do you use TestRail Cloud and a local JIRA installation?

Regarding Confluence: the full Push/Lookup functionality is not available for Confluence but you can still link test cases to Confluence pages (via the Reference View and Defect View URLs). You can even view TestRail details inside Confluence with TestRail’s new dashboard features:

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-integration/dashboards-confluence

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias

Hei Tobias,

thanks again…!

We use all of TR, jira and confluence as local installations.

When i try the “Push” facility for adding defect I receive the msg "Plugin “Jira_REST” returned an error: Could not resolve host: ", sounding like some kind of config issue.

• Any hints?

Best regards
Wilhelm

Hello Wilhelm!

Could you please check if using the IP address instead of the hostname of the server makes a difference? This looks like a DNS resolution issue and using the direct IP address of the JIRA server would work around possible DNS issues.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi Tobias

I have then used the IP address instead of the DNS name, which worked fine :slight_smile: !

Using the DNS name in the first lookup and add function works fine, do you have any idea why this does not work in the push case?

However I have some questions on the push functionality;

• Regardless of the selected test result (passed, failed etc) it seems that TR adds the prefix “Failed test:” to the lira issue summary. In our case this may be misleading, e.g. when the defect is issue type “Observation” instead of “Bug”. Is there any way of omitting this prefix so we do not have to manually remove it every time?

• When I insert files, images etc in TR this is not propagated to jira, nor is the comment under each step. Can you confirm that this simply if because this is not available functionality?

• And when I edit an TR result after having pushed into a jira issue, the updated TR comment is not updated in the lira issue causing the comments in TR and jira to be out of sync. I guess this also is simply because this is not a supported functionality?

• TR insert a link to the test run in the lira description field on the form
    "T41154: Security sluser nivå B: Befaring
    https://testrail/index.php?/tests/view/41154"
    However this url does not point into the hosted version and hence confuses instead of guiding, can I mitigate this somehow?

• Can I preselect the lira project to be used when pushing a defect?

• And finally: Is there any more (nice hidden) functionality with respect to jira integration with the Push functionality apart from certain the initial defect?

Best regards
Wilhelm

Hello Wilhelm,

Great to hear that it works now :slight_smile: The Add feature is just a simple link and would run outside of TestRail’s context so the DNS resolution and system is different as well. The DNS lookup for the Push/Lookup would be performed by TestRail so it would explain the issue if TestRail/the server doesn’t have the same DNS configuration as the clients (and cannot resolve the hostname). But using the IP address instead is perfectly fine and I would recommend keeping the IP-based configuration.

I’m also happy to answer your other questions:

• The prefix is currently always added by default but you can remove it before pushing the new issue. We are also happy to look into making this configurable in the future, thanks for the suggestion!
  • We recommend using the additional (free) TestRail for JIRA add-on which also makes all additional result details visible in JIRA (such as the screenshots, attachments, detailed steps, etc.): https://blog.gurock.com/?p=3365 You can also configure the template for the default description in TestRail (under Administration > Integration) but the JIRA add-on is the best possible integration option
  • You can use the Push feature to create new issues (also multiple) but updating a result comment in TestRail wouldn’t automatically change the issues in JIRA. This is by design actually because often times the JIRA issue description is different from the result comment in TestRail and keeping this in sync would often not be the desired behavior
  • Yes, you can configure this address under Administration > Site Settings > Application
  • The JIRA project is automatically remembered (per TestRail and user) once you pushed an issue and TestRail would automatically take care of this
  • Do you mean updating an issue instead of pushing new issues? You can quickly jump to the issues in JIRA via the issue link as part of the test result and edit it directly in JIRA. Or you can add new issues as sub-tasks of other JIRA issues: http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-integration/tools-jira-fields#sub-tasks

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi Tobias

Once more, thanks!

One question on the “TestRail’s new JIRA add-ons”, we have installed this but nevertheless I do not see attachments being pushed to jira when using “Push” (I see the description though).

• Should the attachment itself be lifted into jira, or just a link into TR?
  • Would this need some config in TR or lira?

Best regards
Wilhelm

Hello Wilhelm,

Attachments wouldn’t be pushed directly but they would be visible if you expand the test result in the TestRail: Results panel. This includes attachments, embedded screenshots, separated steps etc., so everything you would also see in TestRail.

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi Tobias

First I must say that I am mighty impressed by your fast feedback, now and in general :slight_smile: I try to spread the impression…

Now I understand, there I can see the link to the TR attachments.

Evidently this works great since I am a TR user, but for lira users who do not have access to TR this will not work then. I guess there is no way to lift the attachment over to lira to mitigate this?

Regards Wilhelm

Hello Wilhelm,

That’s great to hear :slight_smile:

The TestRail panels provide the best possible integration and it’s currently not possible to push the attachments to JIRA. Depending on how many users you have, you could look into giving them access to TestRail as well and having access to both TestRail and JIRA is by far the best option in our experience (and based on customer feedback). This not only allows users to see all details in JIRA but also to contribute to tests in TestRail (e.g. by adding comments/feedback etc.).

Cheers,
Tobias