Subscribe Join 180,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security. Subscribe

"These changes will remove the test case from 1 test run" when using dynamic filters

Editing to add that we are on the newest TestRail release

I use the Dynamic Filter feature for my test runs. That way when new tests are added that meet the filter criteria, they are automatically included in the test run.

Lately I noticed that when I edit any test case, I get this message: “These changes will remove the test case from 1 test run.” When I go to the test run, the edited case is in fact included in the test run.

What is actually happening there? Is it removing then re-adding the test? If so, that’s both annoying and misleading.

Editing the text of a test shouldn’t remove it from a test run, especially if the change does not affect the filter criteria.

Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 12.07.52 PM

AFAIK - it should only display if the case fell out of the filter criteria. I don’t think I have seen it when I have edited a case in a run with a dynamic filter - but we are also not on the newest release either.

I also have this issue. I am editing the test case via the test run ticket.

Steps:

1. Edit the test run ticket via the ‘preview’ screen.
  2. Make the change - I am changing the number listed in the References field.
  3. Save the change.

The prompt is displayed. I have highlighted the changed areas.

Steps:

1. Open the test run ticket so it is displayed in full.
  2. Click on [Edit Case].
  3. Make the change - I am changing the number listed in the References field.
  4. Save the change.

No prompt is displayed. The change to the references field is updated successfully.
The icon ‘Test Case Added by Dynamic Filtering’ is displayed next to the test title.

My Dynamic filtering is set up as follows:

• There are 7 sections in my test A-G.
  • Only section C is selected.
  • The selection filter is set to select Section C and all the all sections within.

I just updated our test environment and I get the message that the run will change based on my change. When saved it does not make any changes to the runs but it is a popup that should not be happening.