Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

TestRail SQLExpress space

We had a question on why our TestRail Database is near its limits. We were told normal instances can run on SQLExpress. How can we determin what TestRail items are causing growth?

Hello Ken,

Thanks for your posting. Yes, SQL Express is supported and is used by many customers. The usual size limits of SQL Express are around 4-10GB and this is sufficient even for very large TestRail databases. Generated files such as logs or reports and uploaded files (attachments/screenshots) are stored outside of the database in the configured attachments/reports/log directories.

TestRail doesn’t show the database size in the UI but you should be able to find it out with the regular SQL Server tools such as SQL Server Management Studio, for example.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Tobias

Hello, been trying to figure out the server name and username to use SQL Server Management Studio to log into the sql database to do some quick queries. Can you point me to where I can find this information? New to the testrail ecosystem.

Hi @dimmy,

If you are on TestRail Server (and have access to the web server/database), you can look up the database server in TestRail’s config.php file in TestRail’s installation directory (usually c:\inetpub\wwwroot\testrail or similar on Windows).

Cheers,
Tobias

Thanks Tobias! Totally helped

You are welcome, @dimmy, that’s great to hear :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Tobias