Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

TestRail search bar

Hi,
I often find myself in the situation that I have to search for specific test cases in TestRail. But when I try to use the search bar (see screenshot) I do not get any results. To be honest I don’t even know why this search bar even exists, right now it is in an unusable state. So whenever I have to search for something, I use the search function which is included in the “Add Test Run” - functionality.
I have 2 questions: (1) what is the search bar supposed to do and (2) is there a more comfortable way for searching in TestRail?
Thanks + best regards,
Chris

Hi Christian,

Thanks for your posting! The search is a simple text-based search and searches cases, runs, plans, milestones etc. For example, for cases, it would search the title and all text fields like Preconditions etc. The search also supports an ID search and would redirect you to the requested case/run/plan/milestone etc. when you enter an ID (e.g. C17 would open the page for case with ID 17).

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi,
thanks for the answer!
It seems that the search function is not working for us (that was actually the reason for my question above). Whenever i try to search via the bar, I don’t get any results - it seems that the search is taking too long. Do you have any suggestions to solve this issue?
BR,
Christian

Hi Christian,

Are you using a local TestRail Server installation? In this case and if the search is taking too long, you can exclude certain areas from the search (e.g. test results). It would be great if you could send a quick email to contact@gurock.com if this is an option so we can let you know the steps on how to configure this.

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi,
I sent you an e-mail. Thanks for your help, it is highly appreciated!
BR,
Chris

Thanks, Chris. We will make sure to get back to you via email.

Cheers,
Tobias