Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

TestRail Jira addon configuration screen

Hello,
I was trying to configure TestRail JIRA addon for a customer and I noticed that the configuration screen for TestRail’s JIRA add-on is in a different location than most addons. Most addon’s show the configuration screen by going to

TestRail JIRA addon is accessed by going to ’

• market place > manage button > configure button

The issue with this setup is that you need full admin access to JIRA. JIRA admins will never give anyone this level of access. However, as a project admin, I should be able to configure the addon without having to go through some crazy approval process (this is the case at most large companies).

I would recommend that the TestRail JIRA addon configuration screen is moved to the addon > left hand panel so that non-admin users can configure easily.

Hi Ali,

While the TestRail for Jira Addon does not have a menu listing on the left sidebar, you are able to configure it by navigating to “Manage Addon” (Manage Apps in newer Jira Versions) then expand the option listed as “TestRail for Jira Test Management”.

From your screenshot I see you have access to the Jira settings backend, which means the above option is available to your account. This is the case with the two builtin Jira admin groups (jira-system-administrator and Jira-administrator). If otherwise, it’s possible the system administrator had created another custom granular Global Permission group.

Hi,
I can get to this screen

However, JIRA admins seem to have additional permission schemes to prevent non-admin like myself to be able to ‘configure’ TestRail plugin. When I click on ‘configure’ button, it goes to a 404 page.

I asked the JIRA admins, that they said this is super privileged area and as such only they should have access. Most add-on don’t embed this setting at this layer. Most of them have it in the left hand navigation.

Thanks for the clarification Ali, I’ll be sure to let the developers know about this and let them take it from there.