Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

TestRail jama software Integration

Does testrail provide integration with jama software

Hey Vivek,

Thank you for the post. We don’t currently have a defect plugin for Jama Software, but you can generally use TestRail’s generic URL-based integration:

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-integration/defects-urls

That said, we are definitely looking into adding more defect plugins for additional tools like Jama Software in future releases of TestRail. I cannot promise that we will be working on a defect plugin for Jama Software soon, but I’ve added it to our list of tools to look into. It’s generally also possible to write a simple custom defect plugin yourself if you are interested in this (and you can just use one of our existing ones as a starting point and adjust it to your tool’s API) in the meantime if you are using TestRail Server. We also have documentation about this available on our website here:

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-integration/defects-plugins-custom

I hope this helps. Just let me know in case there’s anything else I can help with in the meantime.

We are looking for integration of requirements management and Test management process and I hoped that Jama (is not defect tracking, but requirements management tool.

The format of Jama’s URLs don’t work with the %id% appendage i.e. the ID for a Jama requirement and the end of the Jama requirement URL are different. Is there another way to hyperlink the Jama ID using the Reference View URL field?

Yes, Jama and TestRails can be bi-directionally integrated. Entities such as Test Plan, Test Case, Test Result, and Test can be integrated between both the systems. The kind of integration makes it easier for both the teams using Jama and TestRail to have real-time visibility and full context into customer needs, progress of development work, and complete test suite.

Let’s look at a potential use case:

1. The test team creates a Test Suite in TestRail for carrying out tests on multiple requirements. The Test Suite synchronizes to Jama as a Test Plan. The Test Plan gives visibility to the product team into the QA timelines.

2. The test team then creates Test Sections within the Test Suite to logically bifurcate different kinds of tests. The Test Sections synchronize to Jama as Test Groups.

3. The test team, then writes Cases (and includes them within the respective Test Sections). The cases synchronize to Jama as Test Cases. The Product Manager, at this stage, can provide suggestions to the test team in case he/she sees a scope of improvement.

4. The test team, then, starts executing the Tests by creating Test Run of the related Test Suite. The Test Run (which consists of multiple tests) synchronizes to Jama as Test Cycle. The Tests from Test Rail synchronize to Jama as a Test Run.

5. When the test team completes the execution of the Test Run or finishes a Test, they update the Test Result (s) and that result value is updated in Status field (Steps) of Test Run in Jama.

For the above-mentioned use case and similar use case, you can try OpsHub Integration Manager. You can get the full perspective of how this integration works from this datasheet: https://www.opshub.com/testrail-integration/testrail-jama-integration/