Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

TestRail is good but has usability issues

Hi,
I am using TestRail, and i enjoy it. However i feel it needs some minor tweaks to improve it’s usability. Currently i waste a lot of my allocated test planning time because of the following usability issues.

1. No Bulk updates. Simple tasks like changing multiple test cases from draft to ready takes an age because i need to edit each test individually. The export feature is only available for ALL test cases within a suite. So when a suite has 500 tests and i only need to update 50 this doesn’t help either.

2. Need a “Save” Shortcut - Ctrl S or a save button permanently visible on the screen. Scrolling to the bottom of the test case or hitting enter in the title field is not enough.

3. Currently following a Save, TestRail returns the user to the top of the section. An improvement would be to return the user to the subsection they are editing.

4. Provide the ability to drag and drop test steps from one test case to another.

5. Provide the ability to add attachments to a test run once the test status is set. Currently you can edit a test run following a pass/fail decision but you can’t add an attachment.

Agreed!

Hi Mark,

Thanks a lot for the feedback, it’s appreciated! We already have some of the things you listed on our to-do list and plan to add features such as bulk editing for test cases to TestRail, so it’s already on our list. I’m happy to address your feedback below:

1. Bulk editing: yes, this is already on our to-do list. We would like to support this similar to how you can already add test results to multiple tests (or entire sections) at once. The XML export/import feature would still be useful if you only need to update a subset of the suite’s cases by the way, because TestRail wouldn’t change test cases if you don’t change any of the attributes in the file.
  1. Need a “Save” Shortcut: you can already press your Enter key in any of the small string fields (e.g. the estimate field) to save the test case, but I understand that Ctrl+S support would be good to have and it’s on our list. You should be able to add this with an UI Script in the meantime if you like. We also have an example on how to duplicate the Save button via an UI Script:

http://forum.gurock.com/topic/1317/ui-script-add-save-cancel-buttons-to-test-case-form/

1. Currently following a Save, TestRail returns the user to the top of the section. An improvement would be to return the user to the subsection they are editing: yes, this is planned as part of a redesign of the suite/run pages and we have multiple improvements planned for the test case/suite/section navigation.

2. Provide the ability to drag and drop test steps from one test case to another: could you please let me know how you would like to see this work? I’m asking as drag&drop would imply that you have test cases displayed side-by-side somewhere. That said, you can already duplicate test cases via drag&drop and this would also duplicate their test steps. To do this, press the Shift key and drag a test case via the little ‘grip’ icon left of the checkboxes on the test suite page.

3. Provide the ability to add attachments to a test run once the test status is set: you can actually add additional attachments to a test anytime via the “Add Comment or File” button in the sidebar (editing a test result is mainly supported so you can fix smaller typos or similar, but you can always just add additional details such as attachments to a test).

I hope this helps! In general TestRail is quite flexible so even if specific things like the save buttons or short cuts don’t currently meet you needs, you can use UI Scripts to adjust this. That said, the shortcut makes sense of course and we plan to look into this.

Thanks.

Thanks for the quick reply.
I will look into your answers to number 2 and 5.
We do use the Test Case copy feature and find this brilliant for saving time when entering our test cases.
However we have test cases which require test steps from multiple test cases and therefore the copy feature doesn’t work for us.
Regarding the drag and drop idea, our testers all have 2 monitors so we do indeed have TestRail working side by side. I thought it would be great if you could have one test case in edit mode (the one you were building from other test cases) in window A with the other test cases (non edit mode) in window B. By introducing tick boxes in Window B you could drag test steps into window A and build your test case.

An alternative would be to merge whole test cases into the test case you are building then delete test steps where necessary.

To summarise my requirement.
To be able to build one test case from test steps in multiple test cases.

Thanks

Mark