Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

TestRail Defect Report

Hi!
I would like to know if it is possible do show the testsuite-names in the summary defects report.
In fact I need a report, which shows all defects of the testsuites and in how many testcases the defect is involved. Is there any possibilty to customize this in the report?

Best regards,
Monika

Hello Monika,

Thanks for your posting! I would recommend creating a separate Defects > Summary report per test suite in this case. You can configure the suite & run scope on the Test Suites & Runs tab when creating a report. The report then lists all found defects for this test suite. If a defect spans multiple rows, it was found/reported in multiple tests. You can also add the test case IDs to the tables on the Tests tab via Add Column.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,
the problem is we use a lot of testsuites, for every subject in our release, we have one testsuite. So we have about 20 to 40 testsuites in a project.

Hello Monika,

Thanks for your reply! You could still look into creating a separate report per test suite. I know that this would be a bit of work with so many test suites but you can save the reports as scheduled report and would only need to create them once per project (and TestRail would then automatically create reports based on the configured schedule):

Would this maybe be an option?

Regards,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

I will try this. Thanks!

That’s great to hear, Monika, and please let me know in case any questions come up!

Regards,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

I try to use the report per test suite. In the report there are also defects included for testcases, which are already OK. Is it possible to show only the testcases, which are not OK and their defects?

Hello Monika,

Do you currently use the Defects > Summary for Cases report or a different report template? This report template can include multiple test runs and plans and it currently includes all test cases of a test suite. You can limit the cases via the filters on the Test Cases tab when you configure the report (case attributes).

Regards,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,
I used the Defects -> Summary for Cases, but also the Defects -> Summary report. But in both reports it ist not possible to filter by the status (in the test suite & run filter menue or test cases menue). It ist only possible to filter for example the creator, the assignee, the estimate time and so on. There is no option to filter the status.

Best regards,
Monika

Hello Monika,

Thanks for the additional details! The reports do not support filtering for the status because they can include multiple test runs/plans and the cases can have multiple statuses across all test runs and plans. That said, the upcoming 5.0 will introduce additional live-reports for defects and this might be useful as well:

This will even pull the issue title and current status from your issue tracker (e.g. JIRA) and will be available on the test/case as well as run/plan/milestone level.

If you need even more flexibility, you can also use the CSV or XML exports and create your own reports (e.g. in Excel) and this would always be an option.

I hope this helps and please let me know in case you have any further questions!

Regards,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,
thanks for your answer. In fact we use a Excel Report at the moment, but I would prefer a report from TestRail or in TestRail. So, if there is a better reporting in TestRail 5 I will wait for it, when it is released :smile:

Hi Monika!

TestRail 5.0 will introduce a new live report for defects (like in the screenshot above). This report has a different use case than the report you are looking for but I thought I would mention it anyway because it will introduce a much better/faster workflow with issue trackers.

Regards,
Tobias

Hi - do you know when the enhanced Jira features such as the above will be delivered? I am on TestRail 5.1 and am trying to get a Defect Report which shows me which Jira stories have defects raised, and of those which are resolved, still in progress etc. I can get this using the Defect Summary report but what I need is to pull in Jira info about who signed off the Jira story as ready for testing. Is this possible?

Thanks,

Su

Hello Su,

Thanks for your posting! The live-defect reports were added with TR 5.0 and you can find them on the Defects tab for milestones/plans and runs. In addition to these reports, you can also hover over issue IDs and see the live status/attributes in a small windows that opens:

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-integration/defects-plugins

This is available in a variety of places such as the test case/test tables or when viewing a case/tests (or its results).

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias