Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our
blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

TestRail and JIRA Integration

I just setup TestRail integration with JIRA , Is there a way I can link an existing test run/milestone test results , It seems to me its can only link test case results.

Regards,
Deepa

Hello Deepa,

Thanks for your posting! You can link test cases to JIRA issues via the References field for test cases and you can link test results via the Defects field from the Add Result dialog. If cases are linked via the References field, results for those cases will also automatically appear in the Test Results area when you view a JIRA issue.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias

Hello Tobias,

Thanks for your quick response , I am aware we can link test cases , but what I was looking for linking a complete test plan/test run so that test results can appear on the JIRA ticket. We use JIRA for our task workflow mangement too. Is there a way I can customise it ?

Thanks,
Deepa

Hello Deepa,

You can either link test cases/results (via References) or test results (via Defects). Test results in JIRA are shown as follows:

(left-hand side)

Linking entire test runs/plans is not currently possible but it would usually be too overwhelming to link a single JIRA issue to a entire run or plan with hundreds or more of tests or results. Once you’ve linked a case or result to an issue, this will also include details about the test run/plan/milestone and you can quickly jump to TestRail to see all run/plan/milestone details then:

(see the links above the result comment)

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias

It would be very useful to be able to link a test run or plan to a JIRA ticket and just show the pie chart or some other graph to show the overall status of testing that ticket. Linking individual test cases to a ticket is very time consuming and you don’t get the big picture from the Jira ticket view.

isn’t this the same discussion: Feature request: Link Jira Issue to test plan or test run - and display aggregated test status in Jira Issue

Hello Greg,

Thanks for your feedback, added to the list! Once you’ve linked a test result (or case with a result), TestRail will also show the related run/plan and milestone in the result list when you expand a result.

@bygones: yep, that’s similar, thanks for linking that!

Cheers,
Tobias