Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

TestRail 5.3 released

Hello!

TestRail 5.3 is now available. The new version adds various new agile test management features, better resource planning, improved forecasts, project favorites and many smaller things and features! Please see below for the full list of changes:

• Added: Sub-milestones as additional unit to structure test runs & plans; meant for managing short-lived “iterations” or “sprints”
  • Added: Start date and scheduling support for milestones and sub-milestones; separation between active/upcoming/completed milestones and test runs/plans (overview pages, filters, forms, etc.)
  • Added: Support for active/upcoming/completed milestones for todos per user on Todo page (signaled with different colors in the chart)
  • Added: Project favorites per user on dashboard page to highlight important projects
  • Added: Support for milestone filter on Todo page in sidebar to show the todos for a select milestone or sub-milestone only
  • Added: JavaScript check on My Settings page to check for invalid UI scripts or browser plugins
  • Added: Completed On attribute for test run filters (e.g. on Select Runs dialog on Reports tab)
  • Added: Return created_on/created_by fields for runs in plan API methods (e.g. get_plan)
  • Added: Info message on Progress page for milestones if projected completion date is later than due date
  • Added: Additional indicator on integration settings page (next to Defect/Reference Plugin dropdown) if one or more projects override the global integration settings
  • Changed: Make use of (new) milestone start date on Progress page if available; fall back to date of first result or first test run (for improved forecast accuracy and burndown chart)
  • Changed: Improved accuracy for projected completion dates for milestones on Progress page with mix of active and completed runs/plans
  • Fixed: Prevent possible “Invalid argument supplied for foreach()” message on My Settings page with invalid UI scripts
  • Fixed: Search results may include tests/results for cases that are not actually included in a run (deselected)
  • Fixed: Columns on search result page may be truncated (depending on result type; sidebar explanation)
  • Fixed: Timespan values (Estimate/Elapsed) accept decimals and only use the fractional part in this case
  • Fixed: Milestone summary report (Reports tab) may render “Remaining Tests” and “Remaining Effort” lines in burndown chart incorrectly with test plans (not runs)
  • Fixed: Progress section in summary reports (Reports tab) may mark “high accuracy” projected completion dates as “low accuracy”
  • Fixed: Possible message “htmlspecialchars() expects parameter 1 to be string, array given” when editing multiple test cases with a multi-select field assigned to a different template
  • Fixed: Possible database error in background task when calculating forecast/burndown data with really large data sets (“Arithmetic overflow error converting expression to data type int”) (SQL Server only)
  • Fixed: Print views for runs/plans/milestones (Details mode) may not show all custom fields for tests with mix of different templates

Getting the new version
A 30-day fully functional trial version of TestRail can be requested here (hosted on our servers or as download to install on your own server):

http://www.gurock.com/testrail/trial/

If you want to order TestRail, you can do so directly in our online shop:

http://www.gurock.com/order/

Registered customers can download the full version from our customer portal:

http://www.gurock.com/go/portal/

Updating to the new version
All accounts of TestRail Cloud already use the new version.

If you are using the download version of TestRail, you can update to the new version as usual by installing it over your existing TestRail installation (there’s no need to uninstall your existing installation). The database upgrade wizard is automatically started when you access TestRail with your web browser. Please see the update instructions for details:

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-admin/installation-upgrading/

Please take the time to make a backup of your current installation before upgrading to the new version.

Cheers,
Tobias

I’m looking at your announcement page for 5.3 and I see a screenshot of Milestones with an expanded view showing active and upcoming sprint milestones. How do you get it to expand?

I also see the expanded view for the All Projects view. I can’t figure out how to do that one either.

Hi,
Where can I find more details regarding TestRail API changes for V5.3 ?

Best Regards
Itsik

Hi John,

Expanding a milestone is possible if it has sub-milestones and the milestones in the screenshot are active/upcoming sub-milestones of Release 1.0. To add a sub-milestone, you can either choose the parent milestone when adding a new milestone or use the Add Milestone button/link next to a parent milestone.

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi Itsik,

You can find the API changes here:

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias

how to check this ? I did not see any changes on mysettings page?
Please help.

Hi Alston,

This is more of an internal feature and checks if the page is using invalid UI/JavaScript scripts and issues a warning in this case.

Cheers,
Tobias

You mean that I should open the console page and if there is any invalid UI/JavaScript scripts I will see a warning? Thanks.

Hi Alston,

This page (like other pages such as the case or plan form) would detect invalid JS and then refuse to save the changes. You wouldn’t see a message in the UI unless there’s something wrong with a UI script.

Cheers,
Tobias

In Test Runs & Results, is there any plan to allow editing/updating of the overall Test Run result status? There is currently the ability to edit your results when you use the start/pause/resume/stop functionality and change individual step results, but there is no way to change the overall status of the test, which would be very helpful.

Hi Jeanie,

Thanks for your posting. You would add a new test result to “override” previous results and this sets the overall status of the test (and then also updates the status of the run/plan). Editing/updating results is only meant to fix smaller issues such as typos and filling in a few fields after adding the result (such as a defect, for example). To set the status of the test, you would simply add a new test result and previous results & statuses would still be visible in the test result history.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias

Hello,
Do you have some insight for as to when the next release will be, and maybe a glimpse of what will be in it?

Regards

Bernard

Still waiting on an update for this myself. Haven’t heard any news about any updates or feature plans :frowning:

Hello all,

Thank you for the follow ups. We have currently released TestRail 5.4 to new trials. We do plan on releasing this generally within the next few weeks. This update is TestRail 5.4 which includes support for Windows Server 2016 and PHP 7 which means anyone wanting to use Ubuntu 16.04 out of the box will be able to do so as this ships with PHP 7 by default.

Keep in mind we are still working on additional release of TestRail which will include a lot more in terms of features and functionality. Keep an eye out for more information on this.

Thank you Marty! Is there any other changelist or feature info updates for 5.4?

Thank you for the feedback Marty!

Hi All,

We would recommend keeping an eye on our blog as this will be the best place to view updates on TestRail releases and the new change logs when the version is released in full:

https://blog.gurock.com/tag/testrail-release/

Hope this helps!

Regard,
Marco

We are currently still on ver 5.2.03452 and would like to know if our currently entered milestones will be retained with the addition of the sub-milestone unit?