Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

TestRail 5.2 released

Hello!

TestRail 5.2 is now available. The new version introduces test case templates, drag & drop and copy & paste support for attachments and screenshots and many smaller things and features! Please see below for the full list of changes:

• Added: Template support for cases/tests to choose from different field layouts (default templates for new installations are “Test Case (Text)”, “Test Case (Steps)” and “Exploratory Session”)
  • Added: Drag & drop uploads for all text and step fields (cases/tests/suites/runs/plans/milestones); paste image from clipboard for some browsers (Chrome, Edge partially)
  • Added: Remember + restore if three-pane view was previously active across page requests on suite/run pages
  • Added: Support for descriptions for runs/configurations on test plan form
  • Added: Support for run/configuration description for add_plan/add_plan_entry/update_plan_entry API methods
  • Added: Support for adding/updating/deleting configurations via the API (add/update/delete_config_group and add/update/delete_config)
  • Added: Support for milestone/plan/run fields for defect templates
  • Added: Support for tooltips for case/test titles with three-pane view
  • Added: Support for Microsoft Edge (Internet Explorer successor)
  • Added: Support for closing three-pane view via new X icon in upper right
  • Added: Last 24/48 hours filter options for date/datetime fields
  • Changed: Updated several UI elements (tables/buttons/toolbar/steps/sidebar/menus/filters/form controls etc.) and aligned fonts, font sizes/styles. Improved whitespace usage and typology and overall cleaner look and feel
  • Changed: Limit embedded image uploads to image file types
  • Changed: Limit search to reasonable amount of results per entity
  • Changed: With active three-pane view, show newly added case after inline-add on suite page
  • Changed: Added “Axosoft” to OnTime SOAP/REST defect plugin names
  • Changed: Render JIRA box on integration page in administration area a bit less prominently (competed with more important message boxes previously)
  • Changed: Show Start Timer actions again after stopping timer on three-pane view or Add Result dialog
  • Fixed: Possible “Class ‘os’ not found” error with missing mbstring dependency
  • Fixed: Possible “Undefined variable: timer” error when assigning all tests/tests of current view on run page with activated three-pane view
  • Fixed: Pagination on Defects pages for runs/plans/milestones or cases/tests is inaccurate with duplicates in the defect list
  • Fixed: Dates that include Unicode literals may be truncated (for example, used with ‘Chinese (Taiwan)’ locale)
  • Fixed: Auto-stopping possible timer when adding test results does not clear the In Progress status for the test
  • Fixed: “Last Month” filter option for date or datetime fields may return incorrect results in January
  • Fixed: “No case selected” message with empty three-pane view is not vertically aligned and may be rendered outside the three-pane area (Internet Explorer 10/11)
  • Fixed: Excel documents/attachments use incorrect icon (on white backgrounds only, e.g. with new three-pane view)
  • Fixed: Quotes in texts may result in double-quotes on Push Defect dialog with customized defect template
  • Removed: Support for Microsoft Internet Explorer 9

Getting the new version
A 30-day fully functional trial version of TestRail can be requested here (hosted on our servers or as download to install on your own server):

http://www.gurock.com/testrail/trial/

If you want to order TestRail, you can do so directly in our online shop:

http://www.gurock.com/order/

Registered customers can download the full version from our customer portal:

http://www.gurock.com/go/portal/

Updating to the new version
All accounts of TestRail Cloud already use the new version.

If you are using the download version of TestRail, you can update to the new version as usual by installing it over your existing TestRail installation (there’s no need to uninstall your existing installation). The database upgrade wizard is automatically started when you access TestRail with your web browser. Please see the update instructions for details:

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-admin/installation-upgrading/

Please take the time to make a backup of your current installation before upgrading to the new version.

Cheers,
Tobias

I can’t seem to see all of the new features of the 5.2 Release.

We are using version 5.2.0.3452 and I have checked that there are no other updates. Some of the new features/changes which I cannot see are:

• templates for new installations are “Test Case (Text)”, “Test Case (Steps)” and “Exploratory Session”).
  • three-pane view - This was not available in the earlier release either.

I have come across this in the past with other releases but not sure on what is missing in my account. It is frustrating when I view the new release video and then can’t find the exciting new changes in my version of Test rail. Please help.

Hello Aleesha,

Thanks for your posting! Happy to help with your questions:

• Templates (added with TR 5.2): for updated installations, TestRail would only add a single template by default (“Test Case”) but you can configure additional templates under Administration > Customizations and map the custom fields accordingly. I documented the process here: Exploratory Session

• Three-pane view (added with TR 5.1): you would just need to click on the “expand” icon as part of the case/test row to activate the three-pane view and this looks as follows:

(note the little expand/collapse icon on the right as part of the green row)

I can also recommend reviewing our introductory video which explains how to use this feature:

https://blog.gurock.com/testrail-5-1-introducing-testrail-fasttrack/

Cheers,
Tobias

Thank you for the explanations.

Uploading files to test results via the API v5.2.0.3452

You are welcome, Aleesha, happy to help :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Tobias

Still no ability to attach a file via API, in particular screenshots :frowning: It would be helpful if I could attach a screenshot to a test cases, not a link (in cases of failed automated cases)

Hello,

Thanks for your feedback! That’s on our shortlist to look into and we it’s planned to look into this for one of the next updates.

Cheers,
Tobias

Now that Test Case (Steps) are a default template and are becoming more supported as a common test structure, is the Search function now able to find keywords within the separated steps?

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your feedback! It’s still planned to look into this but we currently don’t have an estimate or expected time frame unfortunately.

Cheers,
Tobias