Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our
blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

TestRail 5.1 released

Hello!

TestRail 5.1 is now available. The new version introduces TestRail FastTrack, our new three-pane layout for cases and tests for incredibly productive testing. Please see below for the full list of changes:

• Added: Three-pane view for cases/tests to view all case and test details directly on the suite/run pages, including quick ways to add results, comments, navigating between cases/tests and tracking test times etc.
  • Added: On-page comment box on Results tab for tests to quickly add a new comment to a test
  • Added: Many elements on test run and suite pages (chart, buttons, status columns, etc.) are now responsive and change based on page/content width
  • Added: Start/pause/resume/stop actions for Elapsed field on Add Result dialog to start a test timer
  • Added: Show any active progress/timer in Add Result dialog and increment timer while open, also automatically stop timer after adding result
  • Added: Detect changes made by other users on run/plan/case form and show warning (with override/force option)
  • Added: Support for MySQL 5.7
  • Changed: JIRA integration wizard now uses the standard ‘jira_user’ and ‘jira_password’ user variables (on Integration administration page)
  • Changed: JSON module is now part of the requirements and checked as dependency
  • Changed: Edit/drag&drop icons for cases are now shown on hover only
  • Changed: Improved design of test results and made them more compact
  • Changed: Reports on overview page are now grouped by month/year instead of by day
  • Fixed: Sticky elements are no longer sticky after viewing an image via inline preview (fancybox)
  • Fixed: Multi-select and dropdowns on Push dialog may be cut if they exceed the dialog height
  • Fixed: Possible rendering issue/unmatched HTML tags if last element on Push dialog is a compact field (e.g. dropdown with size=compact)
  • Fixed: Edit Comment dialog for test comments and assignments uses incorrect margins below comment box
  • Fixed: Rendering issue with border for sidebar splitter/resizing feature (Firefox only)
  • Fixed: Clicking on Add Image does not show dialog on bulk-edit form for test cases
  • Fixed: CSV import dialog may show previously deleted priorities or case types in selection on mapping step (3/4)

Getting the new version
A 30-day fully functional trial version of TestRail can be requested here (hosted on our servers or as download to install on your own server):

http://www.gurock.com/testrail/trial/

If you want to order TestRail, you can do so directly in our online shop:

http://www.gurock.com/order/

Registered customers can download the full version from our customer portal:

http://www.gurock.com/go/portal/

Updating to the new version
All accounts of TestRail Cloud already use the new version.

If you are using the download version of TestRail, you can update to the new version as usual by installing it over your existing TestRail installation (there’s no need to uninstall your existing installation). The database upgrade wizard is automatically started when you access TestRail with your web browser. Please see the update instructions for details:

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-admin/installation-upgrading/

Please take the time to make a backup of your current installation before upgrading to the new version.

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi @tgurock , is there a plan to add a comments feature to the test cases. I mean it would be nice when reviewing test cases that someone as a reviewer can leave comments for the person who has written the test case. Please let me know if there is something planned in this direction. Thank you.

The «Pass & Next» button makes another of my UI scripts obsolete, which is good news :smile: It’s nice to see such improvements in usability!

Hi Sanat, Paul,

Thanks for your feedback :smile:

Sanat: yes, comments on the case level are planned as well and I’m happy to add another vote to this feature request. You can already add a text-based custom field to the test cases if this would be an option in the meantime.

Paul: great to hear that you like the new version :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

We use cloud test rail and it has been upgraded to the latest version but I am not seeing the option for three pane view or any of the latest features that are included in this release. Could you please help.

Hello Junaid,

Thanks for your posting! The three-pane view can be found on the test suite/case and run pages and can be activated by clicking on the little expand icon on the right when you hover over a case or test:

It’s planned to make this easier to discover in a future version and we’ve got the same feedback from other customers as well.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias

Great… Thanks Tobias. That works.!!!

You are welcome, Junaid :smile:

Cheers,
Tobias

@tgurock Please add another vote to this feature request.

Added, thanks Bhumika :smile:

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi are there any plans to make a more granular user separation?
Eg. Project administrators should in some cases not be able to access all projects, but only be able to manage the user settings on a specific project?

Best regards

Hello Peter,

Thanks for your feedback! Yes, it’s already planned to look into supporting project administrators in addition to global administrators and user permissions & roles we already have. This is a complex feature because project administrators not only need to able to configure project access and some project settings. TestRail also allows you to configure many other settings (such as custom field options or the new template feature) on a per-project basis and this needs to be covered as well. But it’s already planned to look into this and I’m happy to add another vote to this feature request, thanks again!

Cheers,
Tobias

Sounds wonderful, will be following this closely indeed :slight_smile:

Best Regards

Thanks, Peter, sounds good :slight_smile: Please let me know in case anything else comes up, I’m happy to help.

Cheers,
Tobias