Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Test suits ID displaying

Hi!

I found in the userguide that you can add links not only to testcases or tests, but even for testsuits what is utterly convenient for us.
But here is a problem – the suit ID isn’t obvious, and I can’t find any way to find out that.

Is there any simple way to display test suits IDs?

Hi Alexander,

Suites (or case repositories) use S### as IDs and you can link to test suites with the [S###] syntax (e.g. [S17]). The ID of a test suite is shown next to the name in the blue area when you open it. For projects with a single repository/suite, the ID is not directly displayed on this page but is part of the URL/address (suites/view/<id>).

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias

So, if I understand correctly, in case of using a single repository you have just one testsuite for the whole project and there is no way to have sections and subsections as a testsuite, am I right?

Hi Alexander,

Suites and sections/sub-sections are two different things. You can think of sections/sub-sections as folders to group/organize cases in a case repository (suite). Very early versions of TestRail didn’t have the option to add sub-sections and test suites were an additional level to organize and group cases. When we added sub-section support, it became clear over time that using just a single suite is more flexible than using multiple suites and TR 4.0 introduced the single-suite mode and this is now the default and works best for most teams.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias

Okay, now I get it. Thanks for your help!

You are welcome, Alexander!

Cheers,
Tobias