Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Test Step Results

I read through the forums and haven’t been able to find exactly what I’m looking for.

I know in the “Test Result Field” you can configure each test step to be pass/fail/untested, etc.

However is it possible to do something similar in the “Test Case Field” I’ve added the appropriate customisation that works for “Test Result Field” but nothing is shown.

Also I don’t really need a drop down with pass/fail/untested, etc contained within, a checkbox would be fine as we just need to have something to identify wheat step the tester got up to whilst testing, so that they don’t duplicate work after dinner or the next day.

This would be particularly useful for test cases with many test steps.

Hello Stephen,

Thanks for your posting. You can configure separate steps for test cases as follows:

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-faq/config-steps

You would basically need to add a Steps custom field to the test cases as well as explained on the page above.

While there’s currently no option to use a checkbox for the steps, I’ve added this as a feature request, thank you! I agree that this may be simpler if you have many steps. Please note that you can already click on the P icon above to mark all steps as passed, for example.

I hope this helps and please let me know in case you have any further questions.

Regards,
Tobias

I suspect that this requested feature may provide a solution for the above as well - Improve test case result setting for results per step test cases especially with the CSS to shade the entire step to match the step result.

Hi Dave,

yep, I agree. Definitely makes sense to review the steps control for a future version.

Cheers,
Tobias