Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Test Runs review mode

Hi,

Is it possible to add new test case directly to test run (category, title, description) and edit testcases, which are already in test run?

It’s required for test run review.

Reviewer should see test run/plan and add new testcases directly to test run with short description without require to switch to test cases tab, searching appropriated category, adding test case, add it to test plan. It’s too much steps to review. It should be more comfortable.

Hello Michael,

Thanks for your posting! New test cases are automatically added to all runs/plans that use the include-all mode for cases. This does not apply to runs/plans with a custom case selection and you would need to change the case selection in this case to add the new cases.

Changes for modified cases or changes in the case repository will also directly appear in all running/active runs/plans, so this would already be the behavior you are looking for I believe.

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

Unfortunately it’s impossible for us to use include-all mode.
We have one test-cases set and composing test-plans from it.

Hello Michael,

Thanks for your reply. TestRail wouldn’t automatically add new cases to the test runs/plans in this case in order to not change the case selection. It’s already planned to make it easier to add cases to active runs/plans from the case repository pages though (e.g. when you add a new test case). I’m happy to add another vote to this feature request, thanks!

Cheers,
Tobias

Understood,
Thank you.

I think it would be good for you to think about “Review Mode” for test plan/run.
Test plan review is a common practice.

Regards,
Michael

had the same request Staging a test run.

Yep, happy to look into this for a future version. We also find that this makes sense, especially if you have many test runs/plans or a complex case repository (would definitely make sense easier).

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Tobias