Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our
blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Test plans linked to multiple test suites, need configuration with all tests not suite specific

Hi
I am looking to move to using Test Plans rather than individual test runs as these allow us to include test cases from multiple test suites however I am having some problems with configurations and need some help/advice.

We currently have a Regression library project containing multiple tests suites holding standard tests for our application. When a new project is started we create a new test suite (in a separate project) for the project specific changes and currently copy any relevant regression test cases from the regression library to the project test suite. This make maintenance more difficult, as if any changes are made to the regression tests within the project test suite, these are not replicated back the original test case in the regression library and have to be copied back instead (a task which can get forgotten).

What I would like to be able to do is to set up a test plan for each project the is linked to both the project test suite and the regression library test suites (of which several could be required) - the problem I am having is that this creates a separate test run per suite linked to the test plan. I want to be able to have 1 Run with 1 or more configurations containing test cases from ALL the linked test suites. I’ve tried but I can’t see any way to achieve this so would value your advice about how to progress this & achieve my goal.

To put this int context - on a standard project we would normally plan for 3 cycles of testing in system test, then 2 package tests in release level environments so I would want 5 configurations contains some or all test cases from all the linked test suites & NOT separate test runs for each test suite (as some runs will only have 1 or 2 tests in them)

Hi Jo,

Thanks for your posting. We usually recommend using as few suites as possible and the default mode for projects is actually a single, combined test suite for all cases:

This makes it much easier to create test runs/plans & reports for the entire case repository (or subsets of cases) and this is the most flexible option (most teams use this mode nowadays).

Cheers,
Tobias