Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Test Plan Creation from multiple Suites

We have around 6000 test cases divided in around 60 test suites, in a lot of cases we will run the test suites individually, but we also have a need to run test cases from multiple suites based on various custom fields we have created for all our test cases.

is there a way to create a test plan using a global search within our test cases based on those custom fields and then add those to a plan, or do we have to add each test suite individually, as it seems there is no option to select all test suites, and then for each test suite use the filter options to select the relevant test cases?

Hi John,

Thanks for your posting. You can create test plans with multiple suites but you would need to add each suite manually (and then configure the case selection). Suites are the traditional way to group related cases but we now recommend using just a single, large case repository and this makes it much easier to start runs/plans or create reports for the entire case repository. This is now also the default mode for new projects starting with TR 4.0:

Have you thought about reducing the number of suites? You can still use sections/folders to group and organize your cases and this is recommended over using a large number of suites.

Please note that moving cases across suites will remove tests in active test runs, so you might want to close test runs before moving cases.

Cheers,
Tobias

thank you for your response Tobias, the reason we have them divided into the suites is because we have a team of around 60 QA working in our test case database and organizational it made sense for this division.

As the default and recommended project configuration is a single repository of test cases i am assuming that there is no feature in the pipeline to address what i described in my original post?

Hi John,

A lot of teams still use the traditional mode with multiple suites so making test plans and the case selection more flexible is not off the table and this would also benefit users with the other suite modes. I don’t have a time frame or estimate at this point but it’s definitely still planned to look into this.

Cheers,
Tobias

We are currently debating if we should restructure everything to a single repository to give us the flexibility we need. This is however a big undertaking, that we are hesitant to do, so any time line, even if it is very tentative would help us decide

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry, but I can’t be more specific because it’s uncertain at this point if or when this will be added. I would recommend experimenting with the different suite modes in a trial project (you can configure the suite mode per project) to see if this would work for you. You can migrate projects one by one or keep the traditional mode for some projects and use the new one with new projects, for example.

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi Tobias

thank you for your response, we will come up with a strategy that works for us :slight_smile:

Hi John,

Glad to hear that and please let me know in case any further questions come up :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Tobias