Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our
blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Test cases unique editing

Hi, I have created a test plan and added 2 test runs with identical test cases. The same test case in 2 test runs has different id, so it should be treated as unique one. But when I make changes in test case of Test run A, the sane changes are applied to the same test case in Test run B. Pls advise.

That is (sadly) how TestRail works. The basis for your tests is the test suite and when you use the same suite for different runs, then the suite is still the basis.
The run only becomes independent of the suite when you close it.

The only real workaround ist to dublicate the test suite then generate the runs separately.

The test cases in the run are only unique with respect to the run, not their basis in the suite. the logic behind that is that the repository for your cases is the suite. The run is an image of the suite that you can add a result to. When you change the test case for A, what you are (formally) doing is: you create a new test case. I said “sadly” in the beginning because this fact is not immediately appearent. It is however “correct” with regard to the philosophy behind it, namely that the test suite is the leading repository.

tl:dr
The test suite is the main repository. When you change the test case for A, you actually create a distinct new case.

Anomander, thanks for the reply. But what if I have an integration with Jira and I have two separate Jira tickets for platform A and B. I make a reference in test case (test run A) and it is automatically added to the other test case (same description, different ID) in test run B (yes, I know, it’s expected due to the logic behind). Is there any workaround for just Reference field, I mean to have it unique for test cases in test run A and B?

You are welcome, Darina.

You can add a comment or file to the case without having to change the status. I do not think the custom field would be a good idea.

You can edit the comment so that the link looks more orderly:

[JIRA1234](//link to jira issue) would look like

Thanks, but if I add it as a comment, TestRail test case relation won’t be visible in Jira ticket.

There is one other thing you can do, but then you would have to change the status of the case in question.
When you have integrated with JIRA you can add an issue as a defect to a result. That would then also appear in JIRA, afaik.

It is not the cleanest way to do it, because you would change the status of the case.

Again, I suggest doing Case 123 and then copy it and make a version A and a version B. I know that is a bit of a hassle, especially when you try to just add differing test data to cases.

Thanks, but if I create a set of core test cases, it’s not efficient to make a lot of copies of it. But, yes, now I see the logic behind all of it. It’s one repository, I just thought if they have different IDs, then they should be unique.

Happy to have been able to help.

Hi Darina,

Thanks for your post! You can think of tests in TestRail as an instance of a test case, and each separate test would have it’s own test ID, however this is still from the same test case. You can’t make a change to the test instance, you can only make a change to the test case. Any change to the base test case would update any of the tests associated to it in active test runs. In many times it would still make sense to have these linked to two separate references for additional context and details. Hope this helps!

Regards,
Marco

Marco,
Thanks a lot for your reply and explanation, it’s just not convenient in terms of Reference, for example, when I have two test cases with different IDs in 2 different Test Runs. They have different correspondent Jira tickets, and, unfortunately I can’t make two separate references for those test cases.