Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Test cases to appear in Jira on creation

Hi there,

So far I’ve been really happy with the Jira integration, but I’d like my test cases to appear in the main content of Jira tickets once created - rather than having to add a result for them to appear. Would it be possible to set newly created tests to have a default status that would therefore make them appear in the Testrail results section on the Jira ticket?

Thanks

Hi Fraser,

Thanks for your posting. Yes, that’s possible and if you link test cases (C### in TestRail) via the References field to JIRA issues, all test results for these cases would automatically appear on the JIRA issue page (in the TestRail: Results panel).

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias

Thanks Tobias, but how do you set a default status so that they appear on creation rather than having to add a test run to do so?

Hi Fraser,

Do you mean adding a test result to add a status? Tests start with the Untested status after a result and the JIRA add-on would only show actual test results and ignore tests with untested statuses. You can add a status to multiple tests via the bulk-add for results (e.g. a custom status “In Progress” or similar) if you prefer to have them listed on the JIRA issue page after a run (and before adding a “real” result).

Cheers,
Tobias