Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Test case versioning possible?

Hi,

Does this tool support test case versioning? Can I have test case with different version?

Best Regards,

Amit

Hello,

we don’t currently have full test case versioning built into TestRail, but we track all changes of test cases and the history of cases on the History tab on test case pages. To use different versions of test cases/suites for different releases, you can simply duplicate test suites for new releases. We will look into making it easier to work with multiple test suite versions in future versions though.

Thanks,
Dennis

Is there any update on the Versioning test cases/suites feature?

Hello,

Thanks for your question. While there is no full test case versioning yet, you can use the Close feature for test runs and test plans to archive your runs/plans. This makes internal copies of the test cases so that future changes don’t affect your closed test runs. This is usually sufficient for versioning test cases but you can also duplicate test suites as Dennis mentioned.

Regards,
Tobias

Is there any update on the Versioning test cases/suites feature?

Hello,

Thanks for your posting. Yes, TestRail 4.0 introduced a new way to manage different versions for test cases using the so called suite baselines:

http://blog.gurock.com/postings/introducing-testrail-4-0/2757/

(see “Suite Modes and Baselines”)

Suite baselines are basically suite copies and are ideal if you need a more explicit way of managing test cases and different test case versions.

Regards,
Tobias

Thank you Tobias, I’ll try it out.

You are welcome and please let us know in case any questions come up while doing so.

Regards,
Tobias

Any update to versioning?
We are a company that are using Testrail on certain projects where the customer has requested it.

What is stopping us from using the tool in the rest of the company is the fact that versioning and baselining of test cases is not possible. We are CMMI 5 certified and versioning and baselining of test cases is a requirement of the CMMI 5 certificatation.

Hello Namit,

Thanks for your posting. Dennis recently wrote a blog posting that explains the versioning features of TestRail:

https://blog.gurock.com/test-management-test-case-versioning/

TestRail has support for baselines and keeping track of multiple case repositories (branches if you will) and the article explains how this works. Happy to help in case anything is unclear or if you have any further questions.

Cheers,
Tobias

Thanks for the reply but not quite what i was looking for.
For us baslining means being able to track all changes at different stages. e.g

Basline 1. would display all documents in the state that they were, when the basline 1 tag was applied.

Versioning would allow me to add a tag to a testcase and keep versions of testcases so that i could return to a previous version at any time.

How does Testrail support this functionality?

Hi there!

Similar to version control systems like Subversion or Git, TestRail’s baseline feature would allow you to create ‘branches’ of your project to manage different test case versions separately. Most teams wouldn’t really need this as they can usually use the regular test case functionality + closed runs to archive old results. But if you need to manage different versions at the same time, the baseline feature would be the best option for this.

Hi There,

I’ve read Dennis’s blog post about versioning, and it’s clear from his post that baselining is best for those who need to support multiple product versions for a significant length of time.

I also use the Close Test Run feature often, as our test cases change frequently and this allows me to have an accurate representation of our tests at the time of testing (thank you for that!)

However we are on a 2 week cycle, and I often need to update test cases in Week A for testing in Week B, but in Week A I still need to test the original case. And sometimes a new feature will get pushed out to the next cycle at the last minute. I need, basically, short term versioning. Is there anything in Test Rail that I can make work for me this way? I’m not talking about creating new cases - if the cases are new I just don’t include them in the Test Run of course - I’m talking about updates only.

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for your posting. You can also look into using baselines for this, so basically a baseline for each sprint or week. Baselines are not just for multiple, larger versions or releases but can also be used for short-term versioning. Do you already use baselines or just a single repository?

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

I use a single repository per project (mutliple projects).

Wouldn’t a new baseline every few weeks (eventually) take up a lot of space though?

Thanks,
Lisa

Hi Lisa,

This wouldn’t be an issue and you can also always delete old baselines you no longer need at some point. You would just need to make sure to close test runs to archive them before doing so (otherwise, deleting the baseline would remove them as well).

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

Very helpful, thank you. Is there a way to merge baselines back into the Master?

Thanks,
Lisa

Hi Lisa,

Yes, you can copy back test cases via the Copy & Move Test Cases dialog:

There’s currently no automatic merge support but you can copy new master/baseline cases via the Copy dialog in the target suite/baseline (the dialog can be opened by clicking on the icon with two sheets of paper in the toolbar).

Cheers,
Tobias