Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Test case version control

Hi,

is there any plans to implement test case version control ?

We have found now one solution but this is very fragile and has lots of drawbacks…

Every test case should have version correlated either to project or any other version where it has been created.

We have added custom field to test cases:

How we done it now:

The problem we have is that once the list goes big and drop-down might have way too many items. Also if we change the nr. in drop-down list all past info is missing.

It makes sense to have build in version control for test cases. Either totally independent from project where you can define versions when test case will be created and also once you make runs you can filter them… now we can filter as well but the control part is not very convenience.

Thanks

Hello,

If you have the need to track versions on the test case level, you might want to look into using the Milestone field for this (or add a milestone-based custom field). The Milestone field on the test case level was specifically added for this purpose. In addition to seeing the versions when you view a test case or suite, you can also use this field to filter for cases when adding test runs/plans:

http://blog.gurock.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/filter-large.png

Regards,
Tobias

[quote=tgurock]Hello,

If you have the need to track versions on the test case level, you might want to look into using the Milestone field for this (or add a milestone-based custom field). The Milestone field on the test case level was specifically added for this purpose. In addition to seeing the versions when you view a test case or suite, you can also use this field to filter for cases when adding test runs/plans:

http://blog.gurock.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/filter-large.png

Regards,
Tobias[/quote]

Thanks Tobias for the answer,

but how we can set up global versions when we use custom milestone field ? It does not have option like drop down has where you can define versions.

The problem with milestones is that if we move or copy cases to another project and we need to use test cases from previous project then milestones info is not valid and will be lost…

For us its important to select filter cases with different version …

I hope this will become feature request soon as this is very needed feature for big operations with many many different versions where we need to understand versions of new and old cases under which project these were created once we copy them from old to new project.

Thanks,
Viljam

Hello Viljam,

Thanks for the additional details. Global milestones are currently not available and I would recommend using a dropdown custom field in this case as you currently do. Regarding your current solution, could you please elaborate on the following of your original posting:

“Also if we change the nr. in drop-down list all past info is missing.”

The numbers in the custom field configuration don’t need/shouldn’t be changed and are meant as static IDs. I.e., if you change the order of the items or add new items, you should still keep the original ID => label combinations.

Thanks
Tobias

[quote=tgurock]Hello Viljam,

Thanks for the additional details. Global milestones are currently not available and I would recommend using a dropdown custom field in this case as you currently do. Regarding your current solution, could you please elaborate on the following of your original posting:

“Also if we change the nr. in drop-down list all past info is missing.”

The numbers in the custom field configuration don’t need/shouldn’t be changed and are meant as static IDs. I.e., if you change the order of the items or add new items, you should still keep the original ID => label combinations.

Thanks
Tobias[/quote]

You are correct Tobias, and this the way we have set it up currently.

Only part where i am worried is that if any of my teamleads will change it or doing a mistake by adding new version.

If we could have such version control feature where by removing version from drop down list will not actually remove version from test cases.

Why i am actually requesting this is that we have in a year near to close 50 full project and all different product versions with small feature changes. At the end the drop down list grow´s huge and there needs to be lots of scrolling, if we could some how disable or hide older versions from the drop down when creating test case and still have full list available when creating test plans would be very helpful.

We can handle it the way its set up now as well but any company who´s testing is as big as ours and as many projects as we have will benefit from this feature for sure :slight_smile:

Regards,
Viljam

Hello Viljam,

Thanks for your additional feedback, that’s appreciated. We will look into ways to make this easier to manage (e.g. maybe by adding support for “archiving” custom field options, or similar).

Regards,
Tobias

Hi,

have you done any progress with adding this feature ?

Thanks,
Viljam

Hi Viljam!

TestRail 4.0 introduced a new way to manage multiple case versions with the baseline feature:

http://blog.gurock.com/postings/introducing-testrail-4-0/2757/

(see Suite Modes and Baselines)

Baselines are similar to branches in source control systems and the primary use case is versioning cases and case repositories. In addition to that, you can use the Close feature for runs and plans to archive test runs & results (changes to the related cases or repository are not propagated to closed plans/runs).

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Tobias

Does testrail have the ability to maintain the versioning of test cases and test steps? like who made the changes? when were the changes were made? and an option to reflect back to previous changes?

Some of the columns you can add to the case listing is Created/Updated By and Created/Updated On.

There is no way to see what was changed.