Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Test case usage tracking

Hi,

Is there a way to track how many test runs an individual testcase is part of?
In the test suite view, the number of test runs for each suite is listed. I’d like the same functionality for individual test cases. It would be an easy way to check that no case is forgotten.

I use configurations a lot and set up test runs from different parts of the same suits depending on configuration.

Hello Hakan,

Thanks for your posting. Yes, you can see an overview of test runs and test results for a test case on the Test Results tab when you view a test cases (the tab on the right; there are Details, Test Results and History tabs).

I hope this helps. Please let me know in case you have any further questions.

Regards,
Tobias

Thank you, I found it.

Although, I would find it very useful if the number of test runs were also listed similarly to the test suite view. The test results view doesn’t give the bird’s perspective of the test cases.

If, for instance, you see a test run count of two for a case, and you know it should have been part of at least three, then you can dive in to the test results view to find what is missing. The workflow would be faster, especially when reviewing the test platform.

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, this certainly make sense. We will look into adding support for a test run overview (aggregated view) for test cases in a future version of TestRail.

Thanks again,
Tobias