Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Test Case removal from ongoing test run

We are currently in the middle of a test run and have realized that there are about 10 test cases that we do not need. We have set them to N/A however that plays havoc with our % complete. I know that I can remove the test cases from the test run but if I do that through the EDIT function, will it also reset my current test results for the test cases we do need?

Hello @jendacott,

Thanks for your posting! Changing just the case selection wouldn’t remove or reset any test results (even for the cases you remove from the selection), so this would be safe.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias

Thanks for the reply. What happens to the results to the test cases that are removed? Is there a way to keep them so that the business users can access them later on to see why they weren’t tested?

The test results are not deleted even if you remove the tests/cases from the run selection. That said, once you remove a case from the selection the test/case is no longer considered an active part of the test run and you cannot no longer view it in the UI (you can change back the case selection anytime but the suggestion below probably works better for you).

So, in your case it might be better to assign a status for this (such as Skipped or Not Applicable) instead of removing the tests/cases from the selection and you can then still open the tests and view past results. You can add custom statuses under Administration > Customizations in TestRail’s administration area.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias