Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Test Case Question

Hello everyone,

new to the community, so in case this is a “basic” question and its documented - feel free to point me to it.

Is there an option so that I can create a test case with an assigned field which takes multiple values and then when creating a test run based on the assigned values the test case is replicated multiple times ?

Example:
Software needs to be tested against multiple browser. So “Browser” is the field and there are 5 entries. Now i created a Test Run and would have an option to either have 1 or 5 test cases or 1 test case with 5 sub tasks / sub cases.

does such an option exist ?

thanks
Ingo Hilgefort

Hi Ingo,

Thanks for your posting. Yes, this option does exist but TestRail uses test runs to implement this. This is provided by test plans and their configuration feature:

http://www.gurock.com/testrail/videos/test-plans-configurations/

The advantage of using separate runs for this is that you easily compare test results, e.g. with the Comparison for Cases report from the Reports tab:

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias

Hello Tobias,

Thanks for that. I noticed that I can create the Test Plan and and Groups to provide different configurations such as different browser or different operating systems.

Now is there an option to link such a Configuration Group to actual fields in the Test Case ?

Lets say we have a set of Testcases and in the Testcases we have a field “Browser” with a list of options (Chrome, IE, Firefox, …). Is it possible to then create a test plan, create the configuration group browser and link that field to the field in the test cases ?

Thanks
Ingo

Hi Ingo,

That’s possible with a customization by adding a dropdown/multi-select custom field on the test case level:

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-userguide/howto-fields

You could add a multi-select field (e.g. “Configurations”) with all possible configurations you would like to support and then use this field to map your cases to the applicable browsers. On the run/plan form, you can use the Select Cases dialog and the filters to select the cases and match them to the run configurations:

(this is the Copy/Move Cases dialog but the Select Cases is very similar; see the cases filter on the right)

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias

Hello Tobias,

I did already see that but I was trying to combine the Testcases with the configuration fields and a Testplan.

Here is my example:
So I have 5 test cases. Each test case also has a field called Browser and a field called OS (operating system).
Now I would like to setup a test plan, add these test cases, and also create a “Configuration” field in the Test plan but link this Configuration field in the test plan to the already existing configuration fields in the Test cases.

Why ?

• it should save me from creating the entries - because the multi-select entries already exist in the Test Case
  • it can then generate the test cases for each entry of those fields as part of the test plan and I can do the reporting.

hope that clarifies it

Ingo

Hi Ingo,

It’s currently not possible to let TestRail do this automatically (i.e. map custom fields to the configurations), but you can simply base the case selection (also per configuration combination if you like) on this with the Select Cases dialog as mentioned. We eventually would like to see a Configurations field or similar on the test case level as well which would make this easier and it’s planned to look into this, happy to add another vote to this feature request!

Cheers,
Tobias