Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Test case creation report

For my team metrics, I’d like to know how many new test cases were created during a specific time period. I don’t see any way to gather this data, only test executions. Is there a way I can get this information?

Thanks.

Hello Greg,

Thanks for your posting. There’s currently no dedicated report for this on the project level. That said, you can simply add the Created On and/or Updated on columns to the test suites to quickly see the creation/update dates of the test cases at a glance. Would this work for you as a workaround?

Regards,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

Thanks for your reply, your suggestion makes sense but we do have 86 test suites on one of our projects so going through all of those and figuring out which cases are new isn’t really feasible. One thing I thought we could do is to use either the Milestone or Reference fields in the edit test case screen, but I still don’t know how I would easily get the totals. I could also try doing my own SQL query against the db directly I suppose.

I would think other teams would like to know the incoming new test case rate (by date or milestone). If so is this something you might add to your feature roadmap?

Thanks much,
Greg

Hello Greg,

Thanks for the update. For self-hosted installations, you can also directly access the database for read-only queries. Please feel free to send an email to contact@gurock.com if you are interested in a few examples for this.

An even more advanced option would be to write a fully-featured report that integrates with TestRail’s UI:

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-custom/reports-introduction

Please let me know in case you have any questions and I look forward to your reply.

Regards,
Tobias

Hi,

i support this feature as well but i have solved this problem with custom reporting and custom fields.

I have added custom field Product version and then another custom field new feature.

And then i can run reports and see how many cases we have added under one product version for example for us version 2.00 and i can see how much were done for new features and how much for older.

Query we request directly from the db.

If you need any other help with this let me know more than happy to help out.

Viljam

Hello Viljam,

Thanks for your posting. Instead of using a product version custom field, you could look into using the built-in Milestone field on the test case level. This field was specifically added for the purpose of tracking the version/milestone a test case was added for. This only works if you track your milestones in TestRail, of course.

Regards,
Tobias