Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Test case chains and testdata migrated from step to step

Hi all,

I’m trying to create either testcase chains (several test cases within a section), that get assigned to several different people - done that, easy.

More important I would like the test result of the first test case to be the test data of the second.

For example:
TC1: create order ID via online shop
TC2: search for order ID (created in TC1) in billing system.
TC3: check bill no (created in TC2 ) in printer queue

How do I realize these “chains” in test rail ?

Hello,

Thanks for your posting. For very connected test cases, you could look into using the structured steps control and using a combined test case with several steps instead of multiple test cases. This would look as follows:

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-faq/config-steps

This approach would support separate and expected/actual results as well as a separate test status per step. Would this work for you?

Regards,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

not quite I’m afraid.
I forgot to mention, that the different Test Cases are assigned to different people.
I think this is not possible with structured steps (assigned to different testers), isn’t it ?

Hello,

Thanks for the update. Yes, that’s currently not supported unfortunately. As these test cases depend on each other (and can only be executed in order), have you thought about assigning the tests to a single person instead? If assigning this to multiple persons is for review purposes, you could use a two-phase test process (e.g. by using the workflow “Untested” -> “Passed - Review Needed” -> “Passed”, you can add custom statuses under Administration > Customizations).

I hope this helps and please let me know in case you have any further questions.

Regards,
Tobias

Hi Tobias,

I am solving this problem now with a custom field in the Test Case are (called “generated testdata”).
Then this custom field can be added to the “Test Runs & Resulst” overview as a column in the table.
So when a tester logs in to this view he can see the testchain (all testcases in the section) and the created testdata in the steps before.

So I just need to make sure, that everyone has this column configured (see my other posting for this: http://forum.gurock.com/topic/1435/global-columns-setting-in-test-runs-results-table/ )

By the way: we’re currently evaluatiing TR here in our company, and I think we’re on a good way :slight_smile:

Hello,

Thanks for the update. That sounds like a good solution indeed and good to hear that you enjoy working with TestRail so far. :slight_smile:

Please let me know in case you have any further questions or feedback and I will make sure to answer your other request separately.

Regards,
Tobias