Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Template for defect push will not populate the "assigned to" field

I’m using a project-based configuration for the defect template and when I use the “assigned to” field nothing ever shows up in the defect text that is created. This is the text that is inserted in the template that seems to do nothing. %tests:assignedto_id%
The test is assigned to someone, so there should be some kind of output here.

Hello Aaron,

Thanks for your posting! The test related variables (e.g. %tests:assignedto_id%) refer to the attributes of the current result (the current attributes on the Add Result dialog) so this may be a bit misleading. This is independent of the actual Assigned To attribute of the test and would only be set if you select an assignee on the Add Result dialog.

Cheers,
Tobias

Thanks. That does work. Is there a way to force that to default to (me) or is there another variable I can use that I can be certain that will have a user’s name in there?

We’re greping that area on redmine so we can change the Creator/Reporter to be an actual user versus the generic account we had to use to integrate with Redmine. If it is empty because the user forgot to set that field then this is less than ideal.

Hello Aaron,

I would recommend looking into changing the Redmine integration configuration a bit so that it wouldn’t use a generic account for the integration but a per-user account instead. This way, new tickets would automatically created with the correct creator/reporter. You can set up per-user accounts with TestRail’s so called defect variables features:

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-integration/defects-plugins-variables

Would this work for you?

Cheers,
Tobias