Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our
blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Template customization & Field Location

Hi,

I am working on customizing the Test Case templates and it seems that only certain field types or certain fields can be moved to the “top” / “bottom” of the template.

Where are the details and how can I move custom fields to the top ?

Best regards
Ingo Hilgefort

Hi Ingo,

Thanks for your posting. You can find a quick overview on possible locations and positions here:

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-userguide/howto-fields#custom_fields_for_test_cases

The location/position is determined by the field type and entity the field is for. For cases, fields are displayed either in the blue area at the top of the screen or at the bottom. Small/compact fields are shown in the top area and large fields (fields of type Text or Steps) are shown at the bottom.

Likewise, for test results, large fields are displayed on the left and small/compact fields on shown on the right of the dialog.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi,

why is that determined based on field type ? Why isn’t that something the customer can decide freely ?

regards
Ingo Hilgefort

Hi Ingo,

Thanks for your reply. The field type determines the usual size of the field/content and the pages/dialogs were designed with different areas for small and larger fields. For example, the steps field wouldn’t be a good fit for the blue area at the top of the case screen or the right-hand side on the Add Result dialog. You are free to change the order of the fields via the arrow icons.

Cheers,
Tobias