Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our
blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Technical infos for log file encryption

Hi,

I’m currently implementing a cross platform SIL file reader (prototype is already working, except timestamps and viewers :slight_smile: ) and it would be cool if I could read encrypted files too.

I already know that the magic number in an encrypted log file changes from SILF to SILE and I read somewhere that aes-128 is used for encryption, but thats about it.

is there a detailed information on how the log files are encrypted? What is the cipher? Is the whole file encrypted or only parts?

Kind regards,
Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your posting! The used cipher is AES-128 (Rijndael) and you can find the settings (block-mode etc.) when reviewing the source code of the SmartInspect libraries. The .NET and Java libraries use the regular official .NET/Java crypto classes and you can also use the same classes for decrypting the log files.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias

Hi,

thanks for the reply, I will look into the libraries. Unfortunately I won’t be able to use the libraries directly, because I will be using a native programming language (d, rust or [as last resort] c/c++).

But having a working implementation to look at is already a good start. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Steve

Hi Steve,

Good to hear this helps : ) The libraries use standard AES/Rijndael classes which should also be available for other programming languages (in similar form).

Cheers,
Tobias