Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our
blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

TCP Client and IP6

I will openly admit I know about why they are converting to IP6, but nothing about the actual practical usage of IP6. I changed internet providers to a fiber connection, now I have a IP6 ip address. I have put the ip address as shown in whatismyip.com into smartinspect and have forwarded that port to my machine, but I am getting no traffic.

Do you work with IP6?

I can get a static IP that is IP4 and am seriously thinking about doing that, but want to give it an honest try first.

Thanks
Randy

Hello Randy,

Thanks for your posting! SmartInspect doesn’t have support for IPv6 but you would usually also have an IPv4 address in addition to your IPv6 address which you can use.

Regards,
Tobias

If you asked me a few days ago I would have thought I would have as well. However when I go to WhatIsMyIP.com all it shows is a IPv6 address. Previously I had never saw it show anything but IPv4.

My carrier is AT&T. I suspect that since they have one of the bigger customer bases they are close to running out of IPv4 numbers. I can get one for $15/month and that is probably the route I will go. While 80% of the web is probably OK with IPv6, somehow I think that smaller but very useful tools like your probably fall in that 20%.

I will call AT&T support and if I can’t go IPv4 without buying static IP then so be it. You might want to do a little research and see if I am right then throw it in the pipeline for next year.

Thanks
Randy

Thanks, Randy! IPv6 is currently not planned to be honest (because the primary use case is logging/monitoring inside the same network), but I understand that this will become more and more important in the future. We would also recommend using an IPv4 if possible.

Regards,
Tobias