Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Tagging test cases

Hi Dennis,

Firstly, well done on TestRail… in my early use of it, it seems to be great software with a nice, clean design and easy to use.

I just thought I’d post my ‘most wanted’ features to find out whether they’re on your development agenda.

Specifically, the feature that would be most useful for me would be the ability to add arbitrary tags to test cases. So, for example, I could tag certain tests as “Time Consuming” or “Critical” or potentially tag them with a customer’s name if they’re crucial to that customer’s contentment with the product.

Then, when assembling a test run, I would want to be able to add test cases to a test run by searching for them based on their tags.

Obviously tags would provide a great way of categorizing test cases in multiple categories, without the limitations imposed by the folder hierarchy structure.

My second feature request relates to the optional “Steps” field that you can add to test cases. At the moment, if you enable it, you can have a collection of separate ‘steps’ for carrying out the test. Problem is, each step only has a place to describe the step itself, and the Expected Results field is still just a single big text field, so it seems there is no way to describe the expected result for each step.

It would be great to be able to do this - i.e. the STEPS list could have an expected result for each step item.

If I am missing any features that can accomplish the above, please let me know, otherwise I look forward to the ongoing development of new features in upcoming releases of TestRail.

Kind regards,

Dave.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your posting and the feedback. Great to hear that you found TestRail useful so far. Let me address your feedback below:

1. Tagging: I agree that this would be useful to have and we’ve received multiple requests for this. We plan to add a test case selection filter for test runs in a future update, and we will also see if we can support tagging for this feature with the initial release.

2. Test steps: we considered splitting the step fields into separate fields for the actual step description and for the expected result. We will also consider adding this as an option for the custom field definition again. That said, we generally use and recommend simply specifying the expected results for the step as part of the step definition. That is, you can simply specify the expected results as a list and TestRail will show the expected results as part of the step description in the Add Test Result dialog (if you have this enabled). It could look like this, for example:

------------
[Step 1]
Open the New Document wizard by selecting File | New.

* The dialog is displayed
* All default templates have been loaded
* The Empty template has been pre-selected
------------
[Step 2]
Select the Corporate template and confirm it by clicking OK.

* A new document is opened, using the Corporate template
* The page counter in the status bar displays `1/1`
* The document area is focused
------------

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
Dennis

Thanks for your quick reply, Dennis.

I’m glad to hear that tagging and test case selection filters are on your to-do list!

Your solution for Test Steps is exactly the workaround I’ve been using, and will be good enough for now. In terms of layout and readability though, it’s not ideal. Also, it doesn’t allow you to specify which steps succeed and which steps fail. Still, this is less important than the tagging feature.

All the best,

Dave.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the feedback. Regarding “it doesn’t allow you to specify which steps succeed and which steps fail”: do you mean test steps, or expected results? I’m asking because you can actually select the status for individual test steps when configuring the Test Results custom field. You can see how this works online on our website here (section Test results):

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-faq/config-steps

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Dennis

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for your reply. I did mean expected results, and on revisiting the software I can see that indeed TestRail does support what I was asking for there. My apologies for my mistake there… and thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Kind regards,

Dave.

Hi Dave,

Glad to hear that it’s working for you. Just let me know if there’s anything else we can help with.

Thanks,
Dennis