Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Tagging test cases

I don’t know if this is possible now, but it would be great to tag test cases with multiple keywords for searching in the future. Sort of like a blog post and keywords associated.

Hi Steve,

Tags would be useful, especially if you could select test cases for a test run based on case tags. We will look into this and we might use custom fields to implement this functionality in the future. Thanks!

Regards,
Dennis

In addition, it would be really great to “tag” test cases with the test run configurations defined for the project. Then creating test runs w/configurations would expand out selectively using the applicable tagged cases (ideally automatically). It wouldn’t have to be tags per say, but some linkage between test cases and run configs would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Chris

Hello Chris,

Thanks for the feedback. We want to add a filter to the Add/Edit Test Run page at some point to selectively include/exclude test cases by priority, test type etc. So if/when we add test cases, it is likely that we will also allow you to include/exclude test cases by tags. I also like the idea with linking cases/tags to configurations, thanks for the suggestions.

Regards,
Dennis

[quote=dgurock]Hello Chris,

Thanks for the feedback. We want to add a filter to the Add/Edit Test Run page at some point to selectively include/exclude test cases by priority, test type etc. So if/when we add test cases, it is likely that we will also allow you to include/exclude test cases by tags. I also like the idea with linking cases/tags to configurations, thanks for the suggestions.

Regards,
Dennis[/quote]

+5 !!! … if implemented…

I’m definitely struggling with the feature set of the UI on this front too!

Thanks for the additional feedback Louis and Glenn!

Regards,
Dennis

Hi Dennis,

I have also recently found that creating a Test Run with all test cases of a given type_id via the api would simplify things significantly. Are we currently able to do this?

Best,

Matthew

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for your posting! While not directly supported as part of add_run or add_plan, you can use the filters of get_cases and then pass the IDs of the returned cases to add_run/add_plan (via the case_ids field and include_all set to false). The filters support a few standard TestRail fields, including the type_id:

http://docs.gurock.com/testrail-api2/reference-cases#get_cases

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tobias