Join 34,000+ subscribers and receive articles from our blog about software quality, testing, QA and security.

Suite rename side effect

We created a suite of tests called “Sensors & Devices”, incorporated it into a test plan, execute the plan and recorded results, and then renamed the suite to simply “Sensors”. We found that the results in the executed plan had disappeared since the rename had essentially removed the no longer existing suite named “Sensors & Devices”.

Has anyone else seen or confirmed this behavior?

We’re currently on 1.0.2.9536 Beta (planning to move to 1.0.3 soon.

Thanks for posting.

Just renaming a test suite shouldn’t/doesn’t have such an effect on test runs or test plans. I’ve tried to reproduce the behavior but cannot confirm it. It works here as expected (I’ve tested with 1.0.3 but this shouldn’t make a difference). When you rename a test suite, TestRail actually just updates the record of the suite in the database and does not update or delete any test runs or test plans.

May it be that you also changed the configuration in the test plan or something else besides the name of the test suite? When you edit a test plan and change the configuration of an entry, TestRail calculates a diff and can add/update/delete test runs. Also see this posting for more information on this:

http://www.gurock.com/support/forum/topic/304/

Regards,
Tobias

[quote=tgurock]Thanks for posting.

Just renaming a test suite shouldn’t/doesn’t have such an effect on test runs or test plans. I’ve tried to reproduce the behavior but cannot confirm it. It works here as expected (I’ve tested with 1.0.3 but this shouldn’t make a difference). When you rename a test suite, TestRail actually just updates the record of the suite in the database and does not update or delete any test runs or test plans.

May it be that you also changed the configuration in the test plan or something else besides the name of the test suite? When you edit a test plan and change the configuration of an entry, TestRail calculates a diff and can add/update/delete test runs. Also see this posting for more information on this:

http://www.gurock.com/support/forum/topic/304/

Regards,
Tobias[/quote]

Thanks! It is entirely possible a configuration got changed at the same time (although unconfirmed); we’ll watch this more closely next time.

D.